The Playstation 5 thread

1 minute ago, iam said:

Yeah storage is a non issue with super fast speeds. 

Yep. I have no plans to upgrade the storage on the XSX. I'm currently quite comfortable with the SSD + External HDD combo.

5 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Do you guys actually ever fall short on space ? 

I have a min. of 4-5 games installed at any given point in time with screenshots, recordings, other apps etc. but never felt the need to expand the storage. 

I usually switch between 2-3 games at max. With fiber wifi connections available almost everywhere with unlimited usage redownloading is also not an issue. 

Same here. I keep max 3 games at a time and play only one at a time. Takes like an hour to download a new one so no point storing everything on console itself.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Thank god we have kraken on our side. Else these third parties would have ridden the popularity of the console and raked in millions. 

Just imagine their sales with 10 m systems sold, and the console touted to overthrow the mighty ps2. 

Looks like a lot of thought was put in behind designing this beast of a machine. 

Ps- we still have 650+ gigs free on the system. Thank heavens they didn't launch a 512 gigs version 

0.5% chance of that happening imo

15 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

Ohh then its fine ,its cheaper infact .

If anyone from sony is reading this please increase the price .

Its not made by Sony, try to keep up.

13 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

But its not confirmed if it will support Gen 4 or Gen 3 ? Last year had bought the Samsung NVMe I think it was Gen 3 for 11K and cancelled it..

They're gen 4 but 5GB/s instead of 7. WD Black is 7GB/s but it costs 16k. They have come down in price compared to last year when WD was over 20k.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

I would rather wait for official sony made ssds. 

Seagate is trying to ride the wave. Insane prices. 

Sony doesn't have SSD manufacturing, even the ones in PS5 are made by Toshiba. At most they'll license third party SSDs, but they'll be expensive and waste of money. Like those official Nintendo Switch SD cards that sell for 2x the price :rofl: 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

I would rather wait for official sony made ssds. 

Seagate is trying to ride the wave. Insane prices. 

Right now there is 0 need to buy an expensive SSD on either platform 

As pointed out by many 

SX barely has any true next gen stuff & even which it has is not selling as most ppl on that system are playing BC,indie titles given away in GamesPass 

PS5 games are soo absurdly expensive that no one is interested in buying digital & throwing hard earned money down the drain…discs are very easy to install & reinstall 

Internet speeds are so high that ppl are even expecting cloud streamed games to pick up,let alone download speeds 

BC games on both platforms can be played through external HDD & Native games can be stored on convenience if you don’t have good internet by any chance 

Plus the Kraken engine is a boon for PS5 

3 minutes ago, AnK said:

Internet speeds are so high that ppl are even expecting cloud streamed games to pick up,let alone download speeds 

Cloud-streamed games don't require high internet speeds. They require low latency.

13 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/#min

5.5GB/s or faster, means the cheaper gen 4 drives will work too. Don't fall for Seagate's licensed crap.

I'm assuming it's not as simple as that. It can't be. Cerny specifically mentioned that drives will need to have an overhead (since PS5 SSD has more priority levels than normal) and that drives will need to be validated and approved.

5 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

I'm assuming it's not as simple as that. It can't be. Cerny specifically mentioned that drives will need to have an overhead (since PS5 SSD has more priority levels than normal) and that drives will need to be validated and approved.

They added the spec sheet today so this is the latest information. I'm pretty sure most 3rd party games will run fine on 5GB/s drives. For first party games made specifically for internal drives you might run into the wall unless you have high speed gen 4 drives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

They added the spec sheet today so this is the latest information. I'm pretty sure most 3rd party games will run fine on 5GB/s drives. For first party games made specifically for internal drives you might run into the wall unless you have high speed gen 4 drives.

True. I guess the real test will be running R&C on the lower-performing drives.

Added information. In "3D audio by TV" on PS5, the microphone of the DualSense controller is used to measure the acoustic characteristics of the room and set the 3D audio. (Many people know that a similar mechanism is used in soundbars, etc.)

Edited by PlainDosa
  • Like 1