The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

On 4/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, Big Boss said:

My friend's cousin came from Canada last week at Delhi airport and paid 10k bribe to get out of mandatory quarantine, went and met a prospective bride and her family, and even finalised his marriage. Now is on UP trip to meet his relatives etc. Priorities.

Remember this idiot? He selected the bride, they got engaged 2 days back. Did RTPCR yesterday as he goes back to Canada on Sunday and flights are banned, his test came positive. Over 100 people attended his stupid engagement. Absolutely pathetic morons everywhere. No sense of responsibility or value of human life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KnackChap said:

Yeah..

- villagers protest citing environmental damage

- violent incident takes place between cops and protestors

- state govt & courts decides to close the plant

- 30k employes and their family + others depending on the plant go jobless.

- corporate eats up losses and keeps fighting in court 

- India goes from being an exporter of copper to importer after closure. 

I don’t know man.... pollution is a big concern...

Goverment started a thermal plant in bathinda to produce electricity and provide jobs...

pollution from the plant led  to what is known as the cancer belt of India, having the highest rate of cancer in India... ground water is unsuitable to drink, many a families have lost loved ones to cancer from this region...we have what is know as cancer train taking pts from that region to Cancer hospital..

Ultimately the plant was shut down but many years too late..

cancer train — https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.businessinsider.in/the-shocking-tale-of-indias-cancer-train/amp_articleshow/52690219.cms

Edited by hsk_colossus

12 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

I don’t know man.... pollution is a big concern...

Goverment started a thermal plant in bathinda to produce electricity and provide jobs...

pollution from the plant led  to what is known as the cancer belt of India, having the highest rate of cancer in India... ground water is unsuitable to drink, many a families have lost loved ones to cancer from this region...we have what is know as cancer train taking pts from that region to Cancer hospital..

Ultimately the plant was shut down but many years too late..

cancer train — https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.businessinsider.in/the-shocking-tale-of-indias-cancer-train/amp_articleshow/52690219.cms

not disputing your claim  & am sure the powerplant has caused its share of health issues but the article you posted says...

It is in this Malwa region that scores of farmers and their families are coming to grips with cancer and numerous health problems due to the lush fields hiding a scary tale.

Malwa, which is also Punjab’s cotton belt, requires the use of a startling amount of pesticides. Reportedly, farmers in this region use 15 different pesticide sprays and the unregulated and excessive use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides have resulted in farmers and their families living in a cesspool of toxicity.

In 2011, it was also found that Punjab’s farmers use of pesticides is 923 grams per hectare was way above the national average of 570g/ha. Even worse is the fact that farmers also end up using the empty pesticide cans to store not only water but also food, which get contaminated with high heavy-metal toxicity.

The residents have little choice than to drink highly polluted water or bathe in tap water that are sourced from canals where industrial effluents are discharged with impunity.

33 minutes ago, Right said:

There is something happened in last 1 year if you noticed. Tango and many apps like that are providing “employment”.

its sleazy but it tells you how desperate India is, poor, unemployed...in need of money.

It's not desperation, lol. Fast money is attractive no matter what the economic conditions are. 

16 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

not disputing your claim  & am sure the powerplant has caused its share of health issues but the article you posted says...

that article I posted was just to highlight the cancer train... 

Pesticides are a factor too probably bigger than thermal plant  but so is the plant.. that has been proven by multiple studies...

“Scientists in Punjab who have studied the presence of uranium in the state have dismissed the government denials as a whitewash. "If the government says there is a high level of uranium in an area that would create havoc – they don't want to openly say something like that," said Dr Chander Parkash, a wetland ecologist working at Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.

Both he and Dr Surinder Singh, who works at the same university and has also carried out tests on the state's ground water, said it was clear that uranium was present in large quantities and should be investigated further.

Another scientist, Dr GS Dhillon, a former chief engineer with the irrigation department, is convinced that the uranium has come from the power stations and accuses the authorities of failing to control the ash ponds, which he believes have contaminated the ground water.

Their concerns are bolstered by a report from the Kurchatov Institute in Moscow, Russia's leading state organisation for nuclear research, published last month in the Russian Academy of Sciences' Thermal Engineering journal. The report's author, DA Krylov, raised serious doubts about the safety of coal-fired thermal power stations (TPSs), concluding that radiation from ash residues and from chimney emissions built up around coal-fired power plants and posed an additional risk to those living and working in the area”

Experts at GNDU say the uranium could have come from the Tosam Hills of Bhiwani area of Haryana, where granite rocks having high radioactivity are found. The concentration of uranium in groundwater of that area is about 60 mg/litre. But it is difficult to understand how this contamination occurred in the absence of any major geological shift.The likely possibility is that it may be on account of environmental changes caused by wastes produced by the Thermal Plants of 1360 MW operating in Bathinda district since the 1970’s. These power plants burn 24,000 tons of coal daily to produce electricity, and produce flue gases, flyash and pond ash which is stored in Ash Ponds in the form of slurry (Ten parts water to one part ash). The Ash Ponds have not been provided with “Lining Material” so as to prevent seeping water to mix with the groundwater and cause contamination.

An examination of samples from close to the Ash Pond at Buchu Mandi near the Lehra Mohabat Thermal Plant, and Jai Singh Wala near Bathinda Thermal Plant reveal that in the case of the former the concentration of uranium is 74.9 mg/litre with the average value of 56.9 mg/litre (highest value tested of 90 samples taken), while in the latter case the values obtained are 61.1 mg/litre with the average value of 52.7 mg/litre.

So the “epicentre” of the activity lies near the thermal plant which has resulted in contamination of groundwater of the area. As we move away from the epicentre, the concentration of uranium in the groundwater decreases. At the farthest sample tested, i.e. of Rampura, the concentration measured is of 9.3 mg/litre, the lowest value tested.”

Edited by hsk_colossus

1 minute ago, hsk_colossus said:

that article I posted was just to highlight the cancer train... 

Pesticides a factor 2 but so is the plant.. that has been proven by multiple studies...

“Scientists in Punjab who have studied the presence of uranium in the state have dismissed the government denials as a whitewash. "If the government says there is a high level of uranium in an area that would create havoc – they don't want to openly say something like that," said Dr Chander Parkash, a wetland ecologist working at Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.

Both he and Dr Surinder Singh, who works at the same university and has also carried out tests on the state's ground water, said it was clear that uranium was present in large quantities and should be investigated further.

Another scientist, Dr GS Dhillon, a former chief engineer with the irrigation department, is convinced that the uranium has come from the power stations and accuses the authorities of failing to control the ash ponds, which he believes have contaminated the ground water.

Their concerns are bolstered by a report from the Kurchatov Institute in Moscow, Russia's leading state organisation for nuclear research, published last month in the Russian Academy of Sciences' Thermal Engineering journal. The report's author, DA Krylov, raised serious doubts about the safety of coal-fired thermal power stations (TPSs), concluding that radiation from ash residues and from chimney emissions built up around coal-fired power plants and posed an additional risk to those living and working in the area”

At the end it's us that are suffering.

I would bet that the corrupt contractor/ department would have cut corners in order to save moolah and this is an adverse effect of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abhi90 said:

I would bet that the corrupt contractor/ department would have cut corners in order to save moolah and this is an adverse effect of that.

yup... lots of suffering.... along with cancer there is sharp increase in the number of birth defects in children from that region...

37 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

It's not desperation, lol. Fast money is attractive no matter what the economic conditions are. 

You should see Tango once.
I studied it, for educational purpose, for a startup I was consulting.

Edited by Right

My chaachi died of covid symptoms (untested). And chaacha is serious with two kids at home. Papa just went to them to give money (not needing to better judgment) and likely my chaacha might go to a doctor tomorrow. My parents have still not vaccinated. Very frustrated trying to convince them everyday to do so. I am hoping my father at least gets it in the next couple of days and my mother follows suit if he remains well after. But no one (except my father) was wearing mask even at the place where someone died and many were symptomatic. And there were many people. In general, no one still cares about masks even though people are in serious condition all around them. This is from Patna. Need to head out somewhere, will post later. :(

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I am told to get admitted tomorrow as my symptoms are slowly showing up. The network coverage there is poor, so might not be able to post for a while.

Take care guys and stay strong! And thanks a lot for your support! 

Wishing you a speedy recovery....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I am told to get admitted tomorrow as my symptoms are slowly showing up. The network coverage there is poor, so might not be able to post for a while.

Stay strong, see you on other side.

all of you will beat it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Wishing all 3 of you a very speedy recovery and discharge from hospital. God bless 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Admitted my parents to govt hospital 2 days ago. Treatment is going on. I got another test done and the report came positive. Just started taking medicines. 

Best of luck bro it will all be good. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VamosReva said:

Sad. 

Twitter is the last remaining hope in social media and now they're also censoring. 

Yeah man although jokers are on that platform too, it's far better than Facebook. He'll even instag nowadays is full of MIS information and prop. I mostly use Twitter now and it has far better information then crap.

1 hour ago, abhi90 said:

100% nothing in India gets done without that undertable money. I still remember when I went to bring my Property card he asked for money I said no, he told to then go find it from the store room. When I found the file the page with our number was the only one missing (Not a coincidence). Just see how much they are into this. I came out and told him il complaint online and not paying you any money. Got a call from him 2 days later and got my card. 80% of the problems in the country are because of corrupt Babu's.