Chaztin

The Mobile Phone Thread

33 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Minor differences are always going to be there. But to say that it is not a good phone, xiaomi os is terrible and there is jank all over is pure exaggeration. If they were so terrible to use, they wouldn't get so much praise from pretty much every single reviewer.

Reviewers are idiots. They just want to put out their article as fast as possible. Oneplus X had glowing reviews and not even one reviewer mentioned the myriad of technical issues the phone had. 

8 minutes ago, adity said:

Reviewers are idiots. They just want to put out their article as fast as possible. Oneplus X had glowing reviews and not even one reviewer mentioned the myriad of technical issues the phone had. 

Not everyone is an idiot. Making a blanket statement like that isn't really smart. As i said, note 5 pro works smoothly and really well and is essily the best phone for its price.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, quixote_1989 said:

S9 64GB coming to around 39k with the Samsung corp offer, after icici cashback and exchange. Soo tempting! :unsure:

Only thing stopping me is the battery backup. My 1.5 yrs old Z play still lasts 2 days(with 4-5 hours SOT) on a single charge, more if I stay indoors. Any flagship will be a huge downgrade after that.

How do I avail the Samsung corp offer ? Whats the criteria ?

Guys need help deciding between the Pixel 2 XL and S9+

Had almost decided to go for the Pixel 2 XL, but a friend of mine who owned one, told me that his phone had a series of hardware issues especially the screen. Not to mention B2X the service partner was a pain to deal with. Guessing that his might be a one of case, anyone else had any hardware issues with their Pixel phone ? 

1 hour ago, sid_008 said:

Had almost decided to go for the Pixel 2 XL, but a friend of mine who owned one, told me that his phone had a series of hardware issues especially the screen. Not to mention B2X the service partner was a pain to deal with. Guessing that his might be a one of case, anyone else had any hardware issues with their Pixel phone ? 

I had posted this a few months ago here. My experience is still the same.

Love the phone. Stock (massively important for me) Android P is really good. Camera still continues to amaze. Speed/performance of the device is still top-notch. Battery life is amazing, ~7 hours of SoT.

Having said all of that, I feel the S9+ is more of a complete package. :good:

Still has the headphone jack. Speed/performance will be amazing here too. Camera is very good too. Not sure about battery life, but considering it's a flagship, it should be fine. And above all, that screen. I truly feel, Samsung is the king of smartphone screens.

I'd say go with the S9+ for a more complete experience. As much as I hate Samsung's skin on top of android, they do provide some nifty inclusions to the software, which even stock Android doesn't. But, be ready for 2 gallery apps, 2 calendar apps, 2 email apps and whatnot.

Edited by VelivolusDas
  • Thanks 1

I love the s9+, and ya screen is amazing, nothing comes close. 

Regarding the bloatware, you get a software called package disabler pro, you can disable any app you want without root. So no double apps. Battery life is decent, nothing great nothing bad. I would suggest S9+, if latest OS update is not your main priority. Camera is anyway top of the line on both the phones. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sid_008 said:

I discussed the issues I faced quite thoroughly on this thread a few months ago.

I had to put in a replacement request twice in a month since both had screen and charging issues.

And B2X is the worst after sales service there is, they took 20 days for the first and 2 months for the 2nd replacement since they "didn't" have panda color in stock but every representative I talked to told contradictory things thus I didn't believe their word at all.

Coming to the phone itself, it's just amazing. You haven't experienced Android in all it's glory until you use a Pixel device. Camera is probably the best out there and performance/sot has never faltered me. Don't forget that you get updates each month while with Samsung that might never be the deal.

Screen is good enough, color shift and all others problems have been solved for units manufactured post Dec '17, two of my friends got it recently and they haven't faced any problem.

But if Pure Android and quick updates aren't your thing, S9+ is a better package for all the reasons people mentioned above.

Though, I always find Samsung Phone's lag after a while, my brother in law have owned S5-S9+ and after 6 months, I find it throwing lag or glitches in UI, same happens with my batchmates in college who own S8 and S9+.

But that might be just personal use case.

S9+ is still a great phone though.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AtheK said:

I love the s9+, and ya screen is amazing, nothing comes close. 

Regarding the bloatware, you get a software called package disabler pro, you can disable any app you want without root. So no double apps. Battery life is decent, nothing great nothing bad. I would suggest S9+, if latest OS update is not your main priority. Camera is anyway top of the line on both the phones. 

Even better. Three is an app called SABS but you have to put some effort the first time. It can disable any app and blocks ads system wide. Works only on Samsung phones with Knox. No root required. 

VelivolusDas, AtheK, kunjanp.....Thanks for the detailed replies guys. Appreciate the help!

For some reason I completely skipped over the lack of headphone jack on the Pixel as all I was focusing on was the camera performance. Having had an absolutely painful experience with LG G5, and having read how wonndeful B2X is, dont wish to go another issue filled experience. Guess I will go for the S9+ 

Thanks for the help !

Even better. Three is an app called SABS but you have to put some effort the first time. It can disable any app and blocks ads system wide. Works only on Samsung phones with Knox. No root required. 
Didn't know about this.. Went over to xda to download this but unfortunately Samsung has put in a request to take down the thread so the mods there had to delete all the links :(

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, -= L O L =- said:

Didn't know about this.. Went over to xda to download this but unfortunately Samsung has put in a request to take down the thread so the mods there had to delete all the links :(

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.powermanager.batteryaddon

Use this.. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, djanuj said:
11 hours ago, harjas said:
planning to get a smartwatch soon, should not be overly expensive and should work with both ios and android

any suggestions?

Ticwatch 2.

I've heard some really nasty things about the watch in a lot of places. It's very bad quality apparently. 

Anyone here has the Gear S3 with Samsung pay enabled? 

I didn't know that there was a workaround in place already to get SPay on any watch. I applied the workaround on my watch and it does work. Added my HDFC debit and credit cards with ease and used them as well.

Basically, the workaround changes the region of the watch. I set it to a US region code (XAR). While adding a credit card, it asks for a pin code along with cc number, doe, cvv and name. For the HDFC CC, i just put in 5 random numbers and it accepted it.

But, adding citibank credit card has not worked out yet, it keeps getting declined. After agreeing to the TnC, it sends out the request to the bank, i assume, which declines it even before getting to verify using sms, email or call bank option.

any pointers on how to add a Citi Credit card? 

PS: it's cool to use the watch to pay.. adds convenience to making payments. Don't have to take out the phone or wallet out from the pocket. :D 

On 13/6/2018 at 10:51 AM, adity said:

I've heard some really nasty things about the watch in a lot of places. It's very bad quality apparently. 

I had considered it but after hearing this 

errr :|

All devices will have conked pieces. Doesn't mean it's a bad watch....it's a really good watch. You can also use qmaefit by Xiaomi. Or Garmin vivo fit. All of them costs around 15k. Except amazefit that costs 8.5k

Anyone here has the Gear S3 with Samsung pay enabled? 

I didn't know that there was a workaround in place already to get SPay on any watch. I applied the workaround on my watch and it does work. Added my HDFC debit and credit cards with ease and used them as well.
Basically, the workaround changes the region of the watch. I set it to a US region code (XAR). While adding a credit card, it asks for a pin code along with cc number, doe, cvv and name. For the HDFC CC, i just put in 5 random numbers and it accepted it.

But, adding citibank credit card has not worked out yet, it keeps getting declined. After agreeing to the TnC, it sends out the request to the bank, i assume, which declines it even before getting to verify using sms, email or call bank option.
any pointers on how to add a Citi Credit card? 

PS: it's cool to use the watch to pay.. adds convenience to making payments. Don't have to take out the phone or wallet out from the pocket.  
I have a frontier but I have not rooted it etc. Kept it as it is. Don't care for Spay