Why is getting an ID so frustrating in India?

Walker

^^ I got my DL after my college was over. Spent my college days with 3 Learner's license, nevr got the time to apply for permanent during then.

Lol 3 learner's license.. you must be real patient bro.I applied for the four wheeler permanent one directly.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Edited by Archit

me too, got my aadhaar, dl, pan without any hassle

will be applying for passport soon, lets see how does that fair, as my mom got it, hassle free :D

Passport process is awesome. Aadhar too is quite good. Also if you have Aadhar, passport will be even more easier.

As I said, I didn't face a single problem while getting driving license, PAN card, Aadhar card and Passport. Voter card was probably easiest, I didn't even leave my house lol.

I got license in 2004, PAN card and Passport in 2007 (reissued in 2016), Aadhar Card in 2016. So can't say how the process was before I got these cards.

Passport process is awesome. Aadhar too is quite good. Also if you have Aadhar, passport will be even more easier.

As I said, I didn't face a single problem while getting driving license, PAN card, Aadhar card and Passport. Voter card was probably easiest, I didn't even leave my house lol.

I got license in 2004, PAN card and Passport in 2007 (reissued in 2016), Aadhar Card in 2016. So can't say how the process was before I got these cards.

true true, i forgot, got the voter id too, hassel free.

• 3 years later...
On 1/30/2017 at 9:31 AM, Walker said:

You sir are blessed :D

I'm just unlucky I guess.

Let's go back to 1999. I was planning to visit family in AU. Needed to get my passport. First we realised my birth certificate had a minor spelling error in my dad's name. It takes one f**king month of back and forth with the BMC to get the correction done and get issued a new one. Guess what. Now my dad's name is correct but they screwed up my name. Added a random middle name after my first name for no f**king reason. Another month of running back and forth. Now the illiterate f**ks misspelled my name. Another 2 weeks and finally a bribe which got me a birth certificate with no errors. Got my passport (now expired :D! Too burned to reapply)

You know what's the kicker? I still have to go back to Mumbai at some point because the same f**kers have misspelled my wife's name on my daughter's birth certificate.

So here's some more pain. I think red tape is so ingrained in our thinking that we just cannot function without it. 

I'm not going to go into how many trips me or my wife ended up making between Goa and Mumbai to get my daughters birth certificate updated with my wife's correct name. I'll just say it would have been easier to pay the bribe which I'm guessing is what they wanted, and would have taken one month instead of 6 years in total and a lot less in expenses of flying back and forth.

But here is what's getting me pissed today. I visited my daughter's school recently to give them the corrected birth certificate. Lady in office says there is a procedure to be followed.... (Faaaaaaacccckkkkk.) She says she'll let me know once she confirmed with the HO. I'm like ok and I went back home.

Today she calls and says I will need to visit the local municipality and get a Divergency done. I'm like WTF for? What f**king sense does it make? Why can you not accept and official document instead of making me jump through f**king hoops? I just f**king can't do this sh*t again. I don't want to visit the municipality for whatever the f**ks sakes. I mean you can visit the official BMC website and the document is f**king updated there with the correct information. BC red tape for the sake of f**king red tape.

• Sad 1

So just got to know that the bmc  (mumbai)is not issuing death certificates  ( maybe even birth) for the last couple of months. My friend who lost his father has tried getting one and a has been unable to do so and lakhs of RS in transaction is in limbo because the account cannot be closed and funds transferred to the nominee before getting the death certificate. It's a current account so their workers aren't getting paid, GST isnt being paid and on top of that they're paying the emi of a loan which would automatically get waived off once he closes the account. 

Apparently the reason is that the BMC system has been upgraded but the health minister has no time to inaugurate the system. :hi2:

3 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

So just got to know that the bmc  (mumbai)is not issuing death certificates  ( maybe even birth) for the last couple of months. My friend who lost his father has tried getting one and a has been unable to do so and lakhs of RS in transaction is in limbo because the account cannot be closed and funds transferred to the nominee before getting the death certificate. It's a current account so their workers aren't getting paid, GST isnt being paid and on top of that they're paying the emi of a loan which would automatically get waived off once he closes the account. 

Apparently the reason is that the BMC system has been upgraded but the health minister has no time to inaugurate the system. :hi2:

This should be f**king blown up on social media. Cunts.

So now I got a call from HO. Guy says sir it's the requirement. We have to submit to the Department of Education and they will required a certificate from the Municipality stating you're wife is also known by the corrected name. I said but she is only known by one name. There is no f**king other name. Why do I have to make a document stating the opposite? That's counterproductive. 

So basically what I'm supposed to do is get a govt document to prove the govt document issued by the govt is correct. I cant even wrap my head around this sh*t anymore. I'm have no document and neither does the govt have any document that the nonexistent name exists, but now I have to prove that the nonexistent person is not my wife.

6 hours ago, Walker said:

So now I got a call from HO. Guy says sir it's the requirement. We have to submit to the Department of Education and they will required a certificate from the Municipality stating you're wife is also known by the corrected name. I said but she is only known by one name. There is no f**king other name. Why do I have to make a document stating the opposite? That's counterproductive. 

So basically what I'm supposed to do is get a govt document to prove the govt document issued by the govt is correct. I cant even wrap my head around this sh*t anymore. I'm have no document and neither does the govt have any document that the nonexistent name exists, but now I have to prove that the nonexistent person is not my wife.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDbMDkDVTu5YnPi_fbAx-

My passport application was rejected twice on flimsy grounds like need original bill of Airtel postpaid from 7 years ago blah blah. 
Finally in the third attempt they tried to shoo me away in the final “docket” submission stage stating 10th standard marksheet is missing. Also had the balls to recommend me that I should’ve done 10th before doing 12th. 
Tried to be as calm as I am unusually not, and explained I have arranged all the educational certs in descending order. So 10th would be right at the bottom. Also explained legally one cannot do 12th without doing 10th. Aunty then came up with another excuse, bank logo on my bank account statement is in Color. It should be B&W. I said that’s how the branch gave it to me while attesting it. 
Creme de la creme : Aunty said “Fine I’ll accept it since you’re also Maharashtrian” :wallbash:

Edited by Jigsaw
Typo
  • Haha 1

I did not face any big issues while getting my IDs created because in my area, people were honest and open about the bribery and doing improper work. In case of DL, I was told firsthand, that if you do not pay the bribe, we'll fail your driving test on first attempt and pass it on the second without creating additional barriers, which they followed pretty accurately (the inspector asked if this was my second attempt and then wrote PASS.)

While creating Aadhar, the person entering the data was not computer educated, so I politely asked him to move and let me do the work and I filled all the details of me and my family as well as some other people who were standing in the queue at that time.

But I did face a frustrating babu while creating a bank account in PNB (almost sarkari bank). My address was fed incorrectly in their system, Flat No 202 instead of 212. Since, I am living at this address for than 25 years, everybody knows me well. So, the security guard provided me the welcome kit. When I went to get the address changed, the babu refused to admit his mistake and said the address in the system is correct and I do not know my address. His argument was, if the address is incorrect, then how did you receive the package? That means the address is correct and the information on delivery slip is wrong. I showed him the cheque book with wrong address as well, but he was not ready to listen. Then, after wasting some time in arguing & shouting at him, some other staff member got my file open in the system and asked me to enter the correct address myself and check it as many times as I want. After that, a new cheque book was issued and I haven't gone back to that branch.

One more incident related to govt office happened with MTNL, I got my broadband connection disconnected in 2012 and settled everything on the spot from my end. For returning the modem and ONT device, I was supposed to get Rs 1500 security deposit back, which I haven't received till date, even after making 20-30 trips to different MTNL branches. On top of that, in 2015, I got a notice from MTNL office that I haven't paid my bills of about Rs 3500 from the year 2013 and my connection is being cut. :rofl:

• Haha 2

I could go into the ordeal of 6-7 years and multiple leaves I had to take to travel from Goa to Mumbai, the out of pocket expenses, the countless frustrating moments gathering paperwork, talking to absolute f**king arseholes, but I don't have the energy. The fact that I have to visit another govt office in the middle of a pandemic is pissing me off to no end right now. FOR THE SAME DAMN THING THAT WAS RECTIFIED!

Its like so many systems and none of them talk to each other. FFS the BMC website actually can confirm the data on the birth certificate is correct now. All it needs is a semi literal idiot to just punch a few details in like Name and DOB. Absolutely f**king horrid state of affairs. Absolute f**king monsters.

Some Illiterate f**k entered my birthplace as Bangalore instead of Bombay as mentioned on my birth certificate. I dont know when but this is surely gonna f**k up some day in future. Everytime I travel overseas, I get scared at immigration and imagine ki saaala abhi inke system me red light aayegi aur mereko pakadege bolenge ki "ye farzi passport hai, aapke aadaar me to Mumbai dikha raha hai" :rofl: