Coronavirus

hope

12 hours ago, Right said:

You are reading it out of context.

The point I’m making here is the govt healthcare system is so overburdened in the clusters that getting adequate healthcare is very difficult. The way private hospitals are turning patients away should worry all of us. Because we middle-classers always thought that those would be our saviours.

Try to understand this, a young symptomatic patient was turned away from 3 private hospitals and he couldn’t make it through, because he wasn’t given proper care, they switched his phone off so he couldn’t even tell his family about how he starved or wasn’t given water to drink.

Now a fact, which everyone should know that India has one of the highest recovery rate. >17%, so Corona isn’t always mean death, but not getting proper care while being infected is.

That is true. A lot of these deaths could have been avoided if we had better government medical facilities. Case in point is Kerala, which has very good medical facilities and they have kept the deaths low, while also preventing spread of the disease.

Middle class and even working class people prefer to go to private clinics but situations like this show why we need good government hospitals and in enough numbers to serve most of the population. At the moment, private healthcare is afforable but as our country gets richer, we don't want to go the America way. Govt. won't get a better opportunity to nationalise some of the important private hospitals than this.

2 hours ago, Banz said:

That is true. A lot of these deaths could have been avoided if we had better government medical facilities. Case in point is Kerala, which has very good medical facilities and they have kept the deaths low, while also preventing spread of the disease.

won't get a better opportunity to nationalise some of the important private hospitals than this.

Actually, Kerala does very good PR.

The Kasargod is neglected region and doesn’t have good facilities that is why they were dragging Karnataka in courts to open borders, to use hospitals in Mangalore.

i wouldn’t like private hospitals to be nationalised. Nationalisation means govt control but doesn’t mean better management.
Govt hospitals are suffering from bad management. Private hospitals don’t want to take Covid patients because they are bit heartless.

Solution is not bad managers to take over good facilities, but something else.

Edited by Right

10 hours ago, KnackChap said:

Damn!! 3.5k cases just in Mumbai. Might go over 4k if we add thane-kalyan + navi mumbai. 

IMG_20200422_012019.jpg

Scary!

500 cases per day itself mean by April 30, MH will cross 10k.

Not calling in Army will be remembered in history as one of the biggest mistake.

Edited by Right

2 hours ago, Right said:

Actually, Kerala does very good PR.

The Kasargod is neglected region and doesn’t have good facilities that is why they were dragging Karnataka in courts to open borders, to use hospitals in Mangalore.

i wouldn’t like private hospitals to be nationalised. Nationalisation means govt control but doesn’t mean better management.
Govt hospitals are suffering from bad management. Private hospitals don’t want to take Covid patients because they are bit heartless.

Solution is not bad managers to take over good facilities, but something else. 

There may be PR involved but their numbers don't lie. They are among the top states in every single health indicator and far better than the Indian average. Even in this pandemic, their death rate is extremely good compared to everyone else.

Government mismanagement a myth. A lot of mismanagement happens due to corruption and vested interests, not because of govt. inability. Sometimes government is constrained by politics. A lot of facilities are poorly managed simply because of low funding. There are many government departments, PSUs and other government institutions that do an excellent job.

There are lot of different ways govt. can go about increasing its stake in healthcare. Nationalising some key hospitals is just one of the ways. They could also create autonomous bodies to run hospitals, or enter into public-private partnerships. All the western European countries have diverse models that each work best for them. Middle class people might feel comfortable now because normal (non-critical) healthcare looks affordable now, but that might not be the case few years down the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Right said:

Mumbai touching 42k in next 8 days? Won't say its preposterous. But difficult to digest in the current scenario.

1. Unless the number of tests increase and, 
2. Positive Corona Virus Cases/Tests conducted rate increases. Which is currently 4-6% nationwide average. 

Also Such calculations comes with a lot of assumptions and without alot of external factors. As we don't have much data about pandemics the models built/being tested would not be that accurate. So take these numbers with a pinch of salt. Personally speaking i doubt that the numbers will reach these heights till April 30. Keeping my fingers crossed that the model is proved wrong.

Also this article was written on 8th April and it was pretty close on 15th April prediction.

https://theprint.in/india/iim-study-predicts-1-5-lakh-covid-19-cases-by-may-first-week-as-result-of-tablighi-event/397810/

As a matter of fact we should ignore these model results altogether. It would seldom present a realistic result as things keep changing on a daily basis. 

3 minutes ago, Nathan.Drake said:As a matter of fact we should ignore these model results altogether. It would seldom present a realistic result as things keep changing on a daily basis. 

we should take them with pinch of salt.

but this is quite conservative estimate compared to models which came earlier.

Thing is 81% cases are asymptomatic, so it is a big concern. 
let’s wait for 30th.

35 minutes ago, Right said:

we should take them with pinch of salt.

but this is quite conservative estimate compared to models which came earlier.

Thing is 81% cases are asymptomatic, so it is a big concern. 
let’s wait for 30th.

Some of these studies are giving overall numbers for the entire population which includes unreported severe or unreported Asymptomatic cases which have recovered on their own. If these numbers represent that then i can agree. Also BBC Or weather channel reported india will have 300 Million cases. 

As far as i have read we are not randomly testing asymptomatic cases as of now. Only those who have come in contact or live in the vicinity of a positive case are being tested even if the person is asymptomatic. Thus going by the current strategy we will not be able to identify random cases which are asymptomatic and might be positive in a large scale. For that we have that antibody test, but again it has some issues so we might have to wait for that too. 

PS: Also i guess these models don't take into consideration that lockdown is active. I read somewhere the numbers they presented would have been valid if there was no lockdown. Again i am no expert trying to be as optimistic as i can :)

Well fkin done. Investigation to be completed within 30 days, fine from 50k to 2L. Jail term 3 months to 3 years.

If injuries ares serious jail term from 6 months to 7 years and fine from 1L to 5 L.

If vehicles or hospital/clinics are damaged, twice the market value will be taken. 

49 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Though the suggestion is outlandish. But in the contrary i feel Indians and countries in sub continent might have better immunity as compared to the west. 

our living conditions are not as good as theirs, plus pollution, they are living in far better environment as compared to us guys.