The Playstation 5 thread

8 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

I don't  know how much ps now is important in their portfolio, but they are anyway making very anti consumer moves this gen-:

70 dollar games

No BC beyond ps4

Shutting down ps3, ps vita and psp servers, essentially leaving the fate of your purchases to the life of your cmos

There is nothing anti consumer in not offering BC beyond PS4.

Just now, Mr. Comingle said:

I would never experience gears 2 or 3 of not for BC. Some of the best action games ever. Also, RDR which is one of my favorite games, I can just boot my XSX anytime and play it. With ps5, no dice. 

BC is a worthy endeavour even if only for these edge cases. 

Exactly. There are plenty of people who have kept ps3 and vita since Sony has no BC. Now they are even shutting down their services for these consoles, effectively making these useless. How is that not anti consumer?

1 minute ago, playstationdude said:

There is a lot, if you're planning to make all the existing older consoles useless by shutting down services.

That is a separate point. There has never been a precedence to offer complete BC in any generation. Just because MS decided to do that, doesn't mean that Sony has to do it otherwise they are anti-consumer. That is a lame take, especially for a system like PS3. By this logic, i won't be surprised if people started calling Sony anti-consumer because they were not offering their games for free as well. Desirable, yes but it is no way anti-consumer.

Just now, playstationdude said:

Exactly. There are plenty of people who have kept ps3 and vita since Sony has no BC. Now they are even shutting down their services for these consoles, effectively making these useless. How is that not anti consumer?

When did is say them shutting down those services is not bad? I was especially talking about BC

Just now, Sach4life said:

That is a separate point. There has never been a precedence to offer complete BC in any generation. Just because MS decided to do that, doesn't mean that Sony has to do it otherwise they are anti-consumer. That is a lame take, especially for a system like PS3. By this logic, i won't be surprised if people started calling Sony anti-consumer because they were not offering their games for free as well. Desirable, yes but it is no way anti-consumer.

So not offering any bc, and then making your older consoles useless is not anti consumer according to you?

Just now, playstationdude said:

So not offering any bc, and then making your older consoles useless is not anti consumer according to you?

Shutting down services for PS3 is bad, but not offering native BC for ps3 in isolation is not. 

Seems Sony is trying to get PS1/PS2/PS3 BC in PS5

From Source:

When looking at the consoles side by side, there's very little to choose between the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series hardware. The latter, however, does have one big advantage over their competitor: backward compatibility. That could all be about to change, however, if a recently filed patent is anything to go by.

The patent in question was filed by Sony towards the end of last year and was published online a little earlier this month. It details a process which seems to be designed to allow the system to award players with trophies while playing "emulated" games. Which games exactly would be emulated is not made clear, although some are now speculating that this may be Sony's way of adding backward compatibility to the PlayStation 5.

Sourcehttps://gamerant.com/playstation-patent-hints-backward-compatibility-plans/

All those custom engines might be affecting BC at launch. Will be good if these are delivered eventually.

2 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Shutting down services for PS3 is bad, but not offering native BC for ps3 in isolation is not. 

I think the boys are saying that both statements are connected, especially if you have a large PS3 library and an old PS3 that can fail anytime.

I have a lot of PS3 discs I invested in back in the day, because it was my platform of choice. I would’ve ideally liked those games to still be playable after my old PS3 inevitably stops working. 

I don’t know if I would go as far as to call it anti-consumer, but it isn’t exactly pro either?

I’m just glad I have an Xbox 360 version of Asura’s Wrath. My PS3 versions of Driver: SF, El Shaddai, etc. on the other hand :/

3 hours ago, playstationdude said:

I don't  know how much ps now is important in their portfolio, but they are anyway making very anti consumer moves this gen-:

70 dollar games

No BC beyond ps4

Shutting down ps3, ps vita and psp servers, essentially leaving the fate of your purchases to the life of your cmos

70 dollar games is not from Sony only.

They are ' rumoured' to shut down the online store and not servers. Meaning you can't buy any ps3, vita or psp

, but your purchases will still work.

CMOS batteries last more than a decade.

Mountain out of a non existent molehill

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

70 dollar games is not from Sony only.

They are ' rumoured' to shut down the online store and not servers. Meaning you can't buy any ps3, vita or psp

, but your purchases will still work.

CMOS batteries last more than a decade.

Mountain out of a non existent molehill

Except the ps3 and vita are already almost a decade old, even more so for ps3..

6 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Except the ps3 and vita are already almost a decade old, even more so for ps3..

and how many ps3s and vitas have shut down because of cmos battery issues. This would be big news if they did. They are easily replaceable.

5 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

You can replace the battery, but if the online service is shut the clock won't sync and you won't be able to use your games.

they are shutting the stores , not servers. Also Sony can patch the sync issue, if they will of entirely up in the air. The report does say they'll shut it by the end of the month, so let's see.

Plus they got vita releases this year, so shutting the stores down doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

I don’t think CMOS batteries are the only hardware issue to worry about, generally speaking. Electronics go bad in any number of ways :/

58 minutes ago, Snake said:

and how many ps3s and vitas have shut down because of cmos battery issues. This would be big news if they did. They are easily replaceable.

Maybe we haven’t heard of them because, like you said yourself, they last over a decade? Perhaps it isn’t time yet.