The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

25 minutes ago, Banz said:

Many of my relatives have contracted and recovered from Covid.

> Majority had mild/moderate symptoms and recovered at home. Many more others must have been asymptomatic.

> Some had to be admitted to hospitals for moderate/severe symptoms and are recovering now. Pre emptively admitted my mother-in-law for just mild symptoms because we thought she was at high risk of developing stronger symptoms later, and it turned out great. Hospital discharged her 4-5 days later.

> One person had to be admitted to ICU because of his and his wife's stubborn denial despite showing increasing symptoms for more than a week. His scan showed pneumonia affecting 30% of his lungs, and his Covid report came out negative (false negative). The report itself said there was 44% chance of false negative and doctors advised not to rely on that report, but he didn't listen. Don't be like this guy.

44% chance of being false negative ? What was done ? Antigen or RTPCR ? 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

25 minutes ago, Right said:

They did Anti-gen test?

Protocol is if Anti-gem comes negative for symptomatic patient, RT-PCR test is done.

24 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

44% chance of being false negative ? What was done ? Antigen or RTPCR ? 

It was a PCR done at Metropolis.
The full name on the Report is "SARS-CoV-2 (COVID 19) Detection (Qualitative) by Real Time rt PCR*"
Specimen Type: SWAB

Test Principle: Real time reverse transcrpition PCR

For tests results that say "Detected" it says:

1.  Each "Detected" result has been verified using confirmatory test.
2. False positive cases are rare globally.

For tests results that say "Not Detected" it says:

1. "Not Detected" result indicates absence of SARS-CoV-2 in the given specimen. However it does not rule out the infection completely and and should not be used as the sole basis for making decisions related to treatment and other other patient management decisions.

2. "Not Detected" result may be seen due to -

a. RT PCR done on Nasopharyngeal Swab having 44% false negativity.

b. Test done too early or too late where the virus load is below the detection limit.

c. Improperly collected and stored specimen

d. Viral Mutations

9 minutes ago, Banz said:

The full name on the Report is "SARS-CoV-2 (COVID 19) Detection (Qualitative) by Real Time rt PCR*"

Test Principle: Real time reverse transcrpition PC

RT-PCR has accuracy close to 100%, however it depends on day of infection.

One of the study I read, the probability of getting false negative is highest on Day-1 of infection. Day-8 is when probability is lowest. 

@Bird Bird Bird  not sure if this report is in much circulation. But IIRC 99.3% is widely publicised accuracy, right?

26 minutes ago, Banz said:

Test Principle: Real time reverse transcrpition PCR

For tests results that say "Detected" it says:

1.  Each "Detected" result has been verified using confirmatory test.
2. False positive cases are rare globally.

For tests results that say "Not Detected" it says:

1. "Not Detected" result indicates absence of SARS-CoV-2 in the given specimen. However it does not rule out the infection completely and and should not be used as the sole basis for making decisions related to treatment and other other patient management decisions.

2. "Not Detected" result may be seen due to -

a. RT PCR done on Nasopharyngeal Swab having 44% false negativity.

b. Test done too early or too late where the virus load is below the detection limit.

c. Improperly collected and stored specimen

d. Viral Mutations

11 minutes ago, Right said:

RT-PCR has accuracy close to 100%, however it depends on day of infection.

One of the study I read, the probability of getting false negative is highest on Day-1 of infection. Day-8 is when probability is lowest. 

@Bird Bird Bird  not sure if this report is in much circulation. But IIRC 99.3% is widely publicised accuracy, right?

I have to check the exact numbers, but it is obvious that PCR done during the 1st/2nd day of infection might be false negative due to low viral load. Same for day 14 or 21 depending on your immune response. 

Having said that, it is PCR, which replicates any trace of viral RNA, so it is highly specific and sensitive. The accuracy is quite high. 

Also depends on whether oro swab was taken or naso. Mostly Oro is preferred as it's easier and provides better samples. 

My bhaiya's father in-law passed away this Sunday due to covid. 

And today my family (Parents, wife and me) got tested for covid with the RT-PCR method. My dad was down for a week with 99-100 fever. Fingers crossed ? 

11 minutes ago, jak3072 said:

And today my family (Parents, wife and me) got tested for covid with the RT-PCR method. My dad was down for a week with 99-100 fever. Fingers crossed ? 

My prayers go out to you and your family man, hopefully none of you have it and all checks out :) 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jak3072 said:

Damn. Hopefully you are not positive.

Edited by Big Boss
  • Thanks 1

2 cases in my Society in the past 20 days. 2 blocks sealed. One guy recovered and that block is out of containment zone now, other guy will complete his 17 day isolation period on 6th Aug.

Stay safe everyone. Dont go out unless necessary . Keep your immunity up :good:

1 hour ago, jak3072 said:

My condolences. Om Shanti.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Walker said:

Running, Exercising, Biking (sweat may increase growth of microorganisms) but keep 6ft distance

This has been the biggest problem in this pandemic, no one knows things sure as sh*t but somehow they feel compelled to give their opinion.

The easiest suggestion should be wear the "masks all the time", "always ,maintain social distancing"

But if they are gonna come up with exceptions like this. People will never gonna follow, especially of Murica.

Someone is gonna surely assume, "I sweat a lot while walking, so masks are not for me"

• Like 1