The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

I would suggest to get the TV this year itself. At best, you would get a 5-10k better price next year if everything stabilizes. OLED offers awesome picture quality and I personally feel its not worth waiting 1 year for potential cost savings of 5-10k, which ultimately might/might not come.

Do you have a pc with you? Connect the pc with hdmi port or display port in case your TV has that. Go u up nvidia control panel and change the refresh rate from 60Hz to 120hz. If your TV does not support 120hz i dont think you will even get an option to change the refresh rate. 
The C1 is slim AF i am too damn scared but don't have any option now came to know G1 Table stand is not even sold in india right now. So now it's just choosing between C1 sizes.

To the QN90A owner. On rtings it clearly show at bottom difference between models section that 50 inch has 120hz panel and 43 inch one has the 60 hz panel. If you have a series X just apply 4k 120 hz option and if the tv supports it then you will see the green tick. Else do what people are telling you with PC.

Finally very important thing i wanna ask about C1 pre calibration rating of 4.6/10 on expert mode is that, since i will use standard colors mode will the poor calibration be a problem for me or standard colors on C1 great ? I have no calibration experience apart from normal settings tweaking. I don't have any professional calibration equipment nor know of any calibrator.

Also if i go for 48 inch C1 is there anything absent that is there on the 55 inch model ?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

The C1 is slim AF i am too damn scared but don't have any option now came to know G1 Table stand is not even sold in india right now. So now it's just choosing between C1 sizes.

To the QN90A owner. On rtings it clearly show at bottom difference between models section that 50 inch has 120hz panel and 43 inch one has the 60 hz panel. If you have a series X just apply 4k 120 hz option and if the tv supports it then you will see the green tick. Else do what people are telling you with PC.

Finally very important thing i wanna ask about C1 pre calibration rating of 4.6/10 on expert mode is that, since i will use standard colors mode will the poor calibration be a problem for me or standard colors on C1 great ? I have no calibration experience apart from normal settings tweaking. I don't have any professional calibration equipment nor know of any calibrator.

Also if i go for 48 inch C1 is there anything absent that is there on the 55 inch model ?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Dont have a next gen console yet. Will be doing that PC thingy. 

37 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c1-oled/settings

LG 65GX 10k cheaper than 65CX/C1 on Amazon right now @ 2.15. 

1 hour ago, silica said:

I used their C9 settings, and they definitely improve the picture quality for SDR/720P. Didn't find a huge difference with their HDR settings and can be a bit of hit or miss

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Do let me know the result please as I’m contemplating to get this during dusshera here in Bangalore , Else during Diwali 

If it's given on rtings, then you don't need to worry.

Edited by KunjanPSD

3 hours ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Do let me know the result please as I’m contemplating to get this during dusshera here in Bangalore , Else during Diwali 

So it shows 120p hz in 1920 x 1080. 

But my nvidia cp doesnt have too many options to select. The windows CP and Intel UHD graphics cp have the option to select 120p hz. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

So it shows 120p hz in 1920 x 1080. 

But my nvidia cp doesnt have too many options to select. The windows CP and Intel UHD graphics cp have the option to select 120p hz. 

Oh awesome! Thanks! 

Can you check if 4k 120 hz is possible? :fear: or that's not possible with your current Nvidia card

10 hours ago, Sach4life said:

I would suggest to get the TV this year itself. At best, you would get a 5-10k better price next year if everything stabilizes. OLED offers awesome picture quality and I personally feel its not worth waiting 1 year for potential cost savings of 5-10k, which ultimately might/might not come.

This. The way things are with chip shortages and what not, no guarantee it will be cheaper next year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Oh awesome! Thanks! 

Can you check if 4k 120 hz is possible? :fear: or that's not possible with your current Nvidia card

For 4k it was showing 30hz :P i have a 1050ti laptop. 120 only with FHD. No other res had more than 75 or 60 otherwise. Above fhd only one setting had 60hz rest all were 30hz. 

• Thanks 1

For 4k it was showing 30hz [emoji14] i have a 1050ti laptop. 120 only with FHD. No other res had more than 75 or 60 otherwise. Above fhd only one setting had 60hz rest all were 30hz. 

Which is strange because the card can support 4k 120hz

Sent from my KB2001 using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

I dont think so. Plus i dont have a 2.1 cable (if that's a thing) and i accidentally didnt check with the tv's 2.1 port i put the cable in a normal hdmi slot. 

4k@120 doesn't work without HDMI 2.1, you need to get the cable (comes with Ps5/XsX if you have one) and make sure your source (laptop) has the same port and that you are connecting to the 2.1 port on the TV.

So, i have been TV hunting for past couple of days. My priorities are 55" display, 4k120 Hz, VRR etc for gaming n then movies, OTT. Won't be using DTH now so have looked into OLED as well. Checked out the LG C1, Sony A80J and Samsung Qn90A and here is what i found. Budget is under 2L. Something under 1.5L with those features is also good.

Samsung QN90A - i don't think this TV is worth the price they are charging. Build quality isn't great, Just 1 HDMI 2.1 port. Lack of Dolby Vision. It pretty bright though but things get oversaturated on it. Blooming does exist. Not like last year's but it still does. I believe this is the first miniLED from Samsung so i believe it needs work. Croma is trying to stick Samsung to me cause i believe they have some commisson on it. Salesman compared it to Sony A80J side by side and saying Samsung is better. Going GaGa over it.

Sony A80J - Apart from missing gaming features like VRR support etc (Update supposedly coming in Dec) i believe it priced a bit high and unless i get a huge discount on it i don't think its worth paying the price they are asking. 2 HDMI 2.1 ports one of them being eARC so i believe i'll have just 1 port if i buy receiver in the future. Picture clarity, color reproduction was good no complaints there. Build quality of the TV is good. 

LG C1 - This thing just felt like CX from last year i don't know if anything new was done in the C series. I also see they have removed HDR effect mode from it. Maybe to sell G1 more i guess. Its priced fairly. Looks nice.  Can't say much about its durability cause it looked very thin. Also, most of the dealers are saying i can either get stand or mount support not both. Isn't the stand suppose to be in the box can anyone who has bought this TV recently confirm this. 

Wanted to check out TCL's miniLED as well but no one has it on display near my place. Probably have to make a trip somewhere further. I'm still concerned about image retention, burn in on an OLED. I don't think how much of an issue that is going to be. 

What do you guys think which one i should go for? If you have any other suggestion, i'm ready to look into it.

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

So, i have been TV hunting for past couple of days. My priorities are 55" display, 4k120 Hz, VRR etc for gaming n then movies, OTT. Won't be using DTH now so have looked into OLED as well. Checked out the LG C1, Sony A80J and Samsung Qn90A and here is what i found. Budget is under 2L. Something under 1.5L with those features is also good.

Samsung QN90A - i don't think this TV is worth the price they are charging. Build quality isn't great, Just 1 HDMI 2.1 port. Lack of Dolby Vision. It pretty bright though but things get oversaturated on it. Blooming does exist. Not like last year's but it still does. I believe this is the first miniLED from Samsung so i believe it needs work. Croma is trying to stick Samsung to me cause i believe they have some commisson on it. Salesman compared it to Sony A80J side by side and saying Samsung is better. Going GaGa over it.

Sony A80J - Apart from missing gaming features like VRR support etc (Update supposedly coming in Dec) i believe it priced a bit high and unless i get a huge discount on it i don't think its worth paying the price they are asking. 2 HDMI 2.1 ports one of them being eARC so i believe i'll have just 1 port if i buy receiver in the future. Picture clarity, color reproduction was good no complaints there. Build quality of the TV is good. 

LG C1 - This thing just felt like CX from last year i don't know if anything new was done in the C series. I also see they have removed HDR effect mode from it. Maybe to sell G1 more i guess. Its priced fairly. Looks nice.  Can't say much about its durability cause it looked very thin. Also, most of the dealers are saying i can either get stand or mount support not both. Isn't the stand suppose to be in the box can anyone who has bought this TV recently confirm this. 

Wanted to check out TCL's miniLED as well but no one has it on display near my place. Probably have to make a trip somewhere further. I'm still concerned about image retention, burn in on an OLED. I don't think how much of an issue that is going to be. 

What do you guys think which one i should go for? If you have any other suggestion, i'm ready to look into it.

My budget was less so went for Qn90a. Otherwise as per your post you seem inclined to get LG Oled. Dont worry about the wall mount. Get the table stand and buy wall mount for 1000 to 1500 bucks. Imho table stand would be much more expensive to source on the other hand wall mounts are available for a dime a dozen.