Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Mysteryman

10 minutes ago, adity said:

Haven't played odyssey but you have to have a rock bottom bar for what constitutes good to actually say origins was a good game. 

Absolutely trash combat and sense of progression since the gameplay stays absolutely static throughout the playthrough, a pussyfart protagonist who would struggle to make any friends IRL because of how boring he is, utterly useless tacked on rpg mechanics, some shitty level gating and to top it all off horrible boss fights and a story which just loses it's way somewhere in the middle. 

Combat has always been trash but now it is even more casual than ever. RPG wannabe stuff with 90% of the copy-pasted weapons/gear where it doesn't even change the weapon feel. The characters and story were done better in the past and now it all makes me facepalm half the time with no connection at all. The boss fights are all garbage tier MMO side stuff. The exploration gets numbing after 20 or so hours when you realize they just copy-pasted every region. 

They lost the AC charm or what the series once used to be. Now it is just another open Ubilol world garbage with AC in the title for marketing. 

And if you have played the Curse Of The Pharaohs DLC, it was one of the finest moments of the franchise. Boss Battles were absolutely amazing and blew everything Odyssey offered out of the water, even the Mythical Encounters. And it also had some of the most beautiful areas in the entire franchise as a whole.

I haven't played the DLCs as I couldn't get past the main game itself sadly. 

16 minutes ago, adity said:

Haven't played odyssey but you have to have a rock bottom bar for what constitutes good to actually say origins was a good game. 

Absolutely trash combat and sense of progression since the gameplay stays absolutely static throughout the playthrough, a pussyfart protagonist who would struggle to make any friends IRL because of how boring he is, utterly useless tacked on rpg mechanics, some shitty level gating and to top it all off horrible boss fights and a story which just loses it's way somewhere in the middle. 

Hmm, then his should be true for the entire Assassin's creed saga then.

But I liked odyssey's combat much over the rest of the series  : it is definitely fun the first 20 hours - bow alone is worthwhile along with stealth and parry is still there, and other than that it has god of war's runic attacks, god of war's combat isn't much superior to odyssey apart from the Valkyrie fights.

Level gating is there on odyssey as well and is stupid.

Edited by GunnerY2J

6 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

I liked the setting and the main character over Odyssey, but that's about it. Never played a more mind numbing game that I put close to 40hrs in. In terms of gameplay, systems, mission variety, story etc, Origin to Odyssey is like going from AC1 to AC2.

Bayak is like the most boring human being in the whole universe. His wife was alight, she should have been 2nd character like syndicate to make things atleast a bit less boring. But too bad she only had few missions. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Hmm, then his should be true for the entire Assassin's creed saga then.

Not at all. We didn't have RPG wannabe system nor had over the top copy-pasted exploration just for sake of it. No stupid level gating. We had proper story and characters and connection; not random stuff spewed upon. There is nothing between Ezio trilogy/Black Flag to current AC game other than the title. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Not at all. We didn't have RPG wannabe system nor had over the top copy-pasted exploration just for sake of it. No stupid level gating. We had proper story and characters and connection; not random stuff spewed upon. There is nothing between Ezio trilogy/Black Flag to current AC game other than the title. 

We didn't have a rpg system because we had nothing in terms of combat.

It was only stealth which wasn't made to be always be in so combat was just two button mashing between parry and attack.

One could just mash parry and auto win.

It definitely felt a Assassin's creed game although a different approach.

we were technically doing the same things in odyssey that we have been doing right from the start of the series.

Climbing stuff, jumping off, following, running away, stealth is very much effective with the build and level and there are raiding and forts stuff from the later Ac games.

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 minute ago, GunnerY2J said:

We didn't have a rpg system because we had nothing in terms of combat.

It was only stealth which wasn't made to be always be in so combat was just two button mashing between parry and attack.

One could just mash parry and auto win.

We didn't have because the game didn't need it... AC to Black Flag were all enjoyable despite having a button smashing combat and it's not like current combat is complex. It is still a button smasher after 10 years.

Second, the game had a story and characters to backup the poor combat which kept the players in-check from start; unlike now.

9 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

We didn't have because the game didn't need it... AC to Black Flag were all enjoyable despite having a button smashing combat and it's not like current combat is complex. It is still a button smasher after 10 years.

Second, the game had a story and characters to backup the poor combat which kept the players in-check from start; unlike now.

Yes, it is apart from the bow and arrow combat which is satisfying as well.

Now I am feeling after odyssey I wouldn't enjoy origins. (The first 20-25 hours*

Edited by GunnerY2J

10 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Played Syndicate or Unity lately? I played Syndicate just some months ago, so I can tell. It's absolutely pathetic and clunky combat-wise.To the point you just go through combat as a necessary evil, with a mind-set of why the heck do you even have to subject yourself to this. Space Bar and Right mouse click - all that was there to combat. Climbing was also bad - you had to find the exact spot where you could climb, unlike Odyssey/Origins which lets you climb from wherever you want. And those "exact" places were not always clearly visible or apparent so you spent tons of time wastefully jumping. At least Syndicate was an improvement with the rope, but before that it was horrible. And remember the follow missions - just stay out of "hearing". Absolutely pathetic.

We had no games with climbing as a main focus during the time - so it was acceptable. But people were getting sick of it. Black Flag was loved only due to the sea combat, which Odyssey expanded on. Remove that and people hated it. There's a reason Black Flag is called just a pirate sim. Heck, people were sick of the gameplay right from AC3. Unity and Syndicate showed that the old system had to go.

I'm glad for Origins/Odyssey. At least the game is playable and has some variety now. True, it's not hard or master-class, but it's still decent. And Ubi seems to put the best gameplay and challenges in the final DLCs. Hence why I said to try Curse of Pharaohs if possible. I still have to play Fate of Atlantis. Too burned off AC Odyssey for now. But will play it in future.

Story-wise, none of the ACs were master-class. All are just decent at best.

• Like 1

The original idea of AC doesn't even need a good combat. Its like saying Splinter Cell has bad shooting mechanic. Well if you're shooting that much that it bothers you, maybe play a shooter? The problem with AC is that the original idea is gone and lost a long time ago, and is replaced by a sub par RPG/GAAS hybrid with so much bloat. The parkour part already went to sh*t with AC3 when they removed any semblance of skill, and is further dumbed down in Origin with "climb anything" and in Odyssey with no fall damage. Try this, face a waypoint that's a long distance away, hold up+R2 and close your eyes for 10 min. See if you fail to arrive at that waypoint. That's how stupidly mind-numbing the traversal is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Combat has always been trash but now it is even more casual than ever. RPG wannabe stuff with 90% of the copy-pasted weapons/gear where it doesn't even change the weapon feel. The characters and story were done better in the past and now it all makes me facepalm half the time with no connection at all. The boss fights are all garbage tier MMO side stuff. The exploration gets numbing after 20 or so hours when you realize they just copy-pasted every region. 

They lost the AC charm or what the series once used to be. Now it is just another open Ubilol world garbage with AC in the title for marketing. 

I haven't played the DLCs as I couldn't get past the main game itself sadly. 

Although I enjoyed Odyssey and even origins to an extent, I can't argue with this point. AC charms long gone.

13 hours ago, KyoyaHibari said:

Bayak is like the most boring human being in the whole universe. His wife was alight, she should have been 2nd character like syndicate to make things atleast a bit less boring. But too bad she only had few missions. 

This!! The damn guy had the character of a rock. Half the reason I loved Kassandra is because of how much one dimensional was Bayek's growth in Origins.

30 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

The original idea of AC doesn't even need a good combat. Its like saying Splinter Cell has bad shooting mechanic. Well if you're shooting that much that it bothers you, maybe play a shooter? The problem with AC is that the original idea is gone and lost a long time ago, and is replaced by a sub par RPG/GAAS hybrid with so much bloat. The parkour part already went to sh*t with AC3 when they removed any semblance of skill, and is further dumbed down in Origin with "climb anything" and in Odyssey with no fall damage. Try this, face a waypoint that's a long distance away, hold up+R2 and close your eyes for 10 min. See if you fail to arrive at that waypoint. That's how stupidly mind-numbing the traversal is.

:lol:  :lol: pretty sure it will work.

17 hours ago, adity said:

You say you haven't played Odyssey? :D 

17 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

god of war's combat isn't much superior to odyssey apart from the Valkyrie fights.

:D Seems like Ubilol has a good future.