PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

2 hours ago, 0verlord said:

Fyi, it’s not only used for copying data or loading games

It’s also extremely crucial while playing games. These components enable data streaming during playing. 

what data streaming? The data being streamed is the textures data that you see in the world. Whenever you move the camera you look at new textures. PCs have settings- ultra quality textures- that’s all the details on the object etc- which needs to be streamed on the fly while playing 

so if PS5 has massive data streaming bandwidth as compared to xsx and even most PCs, the details that you see on objects can be loaded ie streamed significantly faster than other machines or to flip it, massively more data and details can be streamed in the same time. This can make the worlds incredibly more detailed for example in PS5-only exclusives where devs take full advantage of this hardware 

this data streaming through the ps5 i/o complex and ssd happens on the fly while playing 

I hope this clears the matter that it’s NOT only about copy pasting games. Data copy speed is too primitive a problem and solution that this hardware provides 

Dude, I am a developer. I know the importance of bandwidth.

Everything you are going to see on the screen comes off your RAM. However fast your SSD is, it is going to take a few seconds (2 sec for PS5) to fill up. As you play the game, the SSD will swap and replace artifacts from RAM as you progress. This is generally very small unless you load into a completely new area. Replace too much and you start seeing minor stutters however fast your SSD is (happens even in RnC).

You are not going to see games where everything immediately transforms every second just for the sake of utilizing bandwidth. For most games, a regular Gen4 SSD speed is sufficient. You can't change too many things at the same time in a game without breaking immersion. For all the load time benefit it offers, I still haven't seen a single game (including RnC) where it has made me feel like the difference was earth shattering.

Edited by l33tmaniac
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

No they announced 18M subs in Jan. They were doing it constantly last year too.

Its like until and unless they are happy with the numbers they will publish it and if they are not... we don't do that here.jpg :rofl:

48 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Dude, I am a developer. I know the importance of bandwidth.

Everything you are going to see on the screen comes off your RAM. However fast your SSD is, it is going to take a few seconds (2 sec for PS5) to fill up. As you play the game, the SSD will swap and replace artifacts from RAM as you progress. This is generally very small unless you load into a completely new area. Replace too much and you start seeing minor stutters however fast your SSD is (happens even in RnC).

You are not going to see games where everything immediately transforms every second just for the sake of utilizing bandwidth. For most games, a regular Gen4 SSD speed is sufficient. You can't change too many things at the same time in a game without breaking immersion. For all the load time benefit it offers, I still haven't seen a single game (including RnC) where it has made me feel like the difference was earth shattering.

phew, thank god, finally I found someone who knows stuff ?

I am of course NOT a developer and this RAM point was asked before so I request you to please watch from 12:08 in the video below and tell me what you think or if your opinion changes. Important to note that what we are talking about is theoretical potential capabilities of the ps5 hardware and the fact that we are only 1 year into the ps5 life cycle and even rift apart is a year 1 game where devs may not have mastered the hardware 

9 hours ago, Snake said:

But Xbox hero Jez Corden said 30 million subs.

No T2 CEO said that. Jez said he unsure but he thinks over 23m. Check his following Twitter posts. He clearly said he unsure but he think its around 23m. Official last figure was 18m, so people should stick with 18 for now

I totally expect spike in numbers during Forza and Halo release then after few months it will go down till next first party releases.

Edited by WhiteWolf

3 hours ago, KrIzAliD said:

Its like until and unless they are happy with the numbers they will publish it and if they are not... we don't do that here.jpg :rofl:

Thats what these corporations do. They will not share if they dont see much growth. They want to show good stuff only.

Even Sony rarely share PSN now numbers.

6 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

No T2 CEO said that. Jez said he unsure but he thinks over 23m. Check his following Twitter posts. He clearly said he unsure but he think its around 23m. Official last figure was 18m, so people should stick with 18 for now

I totally expect spike in numbers during Forza and Halo release then after few months it will go down till next first party releases.

His follow up tweet said he got confused with some other metric and it was actually 22 mil, now it’s 18 mil ?

16 hours ago, 0verlord said:

btw I recently bought the legendary  Sennheiser HD650 in a sale. Now rocking Hifiman Sundara and Sennheiser HD650 like a boss in audiophile nirvana ?

O that's super cool.

I have been using Sennheiser HD700 for past 6 yrs. Amazing when you use correct Dac amp.

46 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

O that's super cool.

I have been using Sennheiser HD700 for past 6 yrs. Amazing when you use correct Dac amp.

which amp/dac would you recommend around 15k? I have been looking at the ifi lineup but am unsure about how much difference it would make 

my best audio source right now is lossless streaming from Apple Music

8 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

which amp/dac would you recommend around 15k? I have been looking at the ifi lineup but am unsure about how much difference it would make 

my best audio source right now is lossless streaming from Apple Music

Ifi lineup will be good for both of your cans.

Try it, I would say. To me it makes huge difference.

Ideally I would recommend burson audio, but this is your first dac, ifi will be pretty good.

41 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

Ideally I would recommend burson audio, but this is your first dac, ifi will be pretty good.

Any recommendations for a (cheap) DAC/AMP combo to power the HD560S (120Ω)?

2 hours ago, Vaibhavp said:

speaking of differences, here’s what I understand - amp/dacs are best used with high impedance, low sensitivity headphones. Such headphones don’t reach good volume levels directly with say mobile phones and other low power output audio sources. Mids and highs may be fine without amp/dacs but the lows or bass on such headphones really need an amp/dac for the bass to have full body and be impactful. Also, amp/dacs clean up the audio stream in case there’s noise, interference etc 

Is my understanding correct? Is there any other major difference that you find that the amp/dacs make?

1 hour ago, TRMNTR said:

HD 560S has a very high sensitivity of 110dB, so it may be possible to drive them with phones also. 

What I recommend is that you check if music has solid bass or it’s sounding flat/weak. If cans are producing solid bass, then a cheap amp/dac won’t make a difference worth the price

13 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

speaking of differences, here’s what I understand - amp/dacs are best used with high impedance, low sensitivity headphones. Such headphones don’t reach good volume levels directly with say mobile phones and other low power output audio sources. Mids and highs may be fine without amp/dacs but the lows or bass on such headphones really need an amp/dac for the bass to have full body and be impactful. Also, amp/dacs clean up the audio stream in case there’s noise, interference etc 

Is my understanding correct? Is there any other major difference that you find that the amp/dacs make?

Any cd quality signal has way too much data that is unheard normally. 

Say a drum player is recording with mics just CMs away from drum. 

Sound that gets recorded has explosive intensity. How sound wave travels on drum skin. That gets recorded.

On top of that, faint ambient sounds, sometimes vehicles travelling outside recording studio.

All this data gets lost by normal data and signal transmission. A good quality dac/amp provides most pristine path possible, so all this data is preserved and reaches headphones.

Getting usuable volume and bass is part of the equation. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRMNTR said:

Dac amps will require a lot of commitment.

Only local files, with software that allows bit perfect transmission.

Ifi gear that Overlord mentioned would work well.

But if you stream music, phone would be best.

1 hour ago, 0verlord said:

HD 560S has a very high sensitivity of 110dB, so it may be possible to drive them with phones also. 

What I recommend is that you check if music has solid bass or it’s sounding flat/weak. If cans are producing solid bass, then a cheap amp/dac won’t make a difference worth the price

1 hour ago, Vaibhavp said:

Dac amps will require a lot of commitment.

Only local files, with software that allows bit perfect transmission.

Ifi gear that Overlord mentioned would work well.

But if you stream music, phone would be best.

That's the plan for now. Will use it with phone via a bare bones dac for now and get a DAC/AMP for uncompressed later sometime.