The Cricket Thread

AtheK

9 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

What an innings by SKY. Too bad we won't win. Shreyas Iyer is awful. Can't play short ball at all. No need to even take him to Australia.

don’t think he will be in plan, Pandya walks ahead of him anyday now. Hooda has been a great find too, wish they had played him today instead of Iyer.

2 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

One of the greatest t20i innings by an Indian batter. 

Absolutely brilliant, superb clean hitting.

With proper grooming Hooda can reach levels of sky plus he can bowl some overs as well. 

Virat doesn't seems like a good fit for world cup he will probably play wi t20 world cup if he fails again he is dropped. ODIs probably he has better chance of getting runs. 

Some of the shots SKY played yesterday were unbelievable. His lofted 6 over covers was absolutely majestic. Easily our best white ball player right now.

Kohli needs to be benched.

Umran Malik still needs domestic time and isn't ready for International scene.

Iyer can't play good pace and short balls. Can't be in team for World cup. Samson looks like a better option.

DK blows hot and cold and his keeping is worst among all WK options. 

Damn we lost our winning streak. But need to experiment too so it's ok. 

'You don't take rest during IPL, then why ask for it when playing for India?': Gavaskar slams seniors for wanting breaks

Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar has said that he is strictly against the idea of Indian cricketers getting rested for series, especially seniors. Gavaskar's statements come after the likes of Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, Virat Kohli, Hardik Pandya and Rishabh Pant, among certain other high-profile cricketers were given a break for India's ODI series against West Indies starting later this month. There have also been reports doing the rounds that out-of-form batter Virat Kohli has asked to be rested for the entire tour of West Indies, which also involved five T20Is. Weighing on the same, Gavaskar stated that asking to be rested when it comes to be playing for India is just not done and if the cricketers do not skip the Indian Premier League, there is excuse big enough to not give international cricket the same importance.

"See I do not agree with this concept of players resting. Not at all. 'You don't take rest during IPL, then why ask for it while playing for India? I don't agree with it. You will have to play for India. Don't talk about rest. There are only 20 overs in an innings in T20. That does not take any toll on your body. In Test matches, the mind and the body take a toll, I get that. But I don't think there is much problem in T20 cricket," Gavaskar said on Sports Tak.

The legendary India cricketer then pointed out that it is about time the BCCI intervenes into this 'rest policy' which has become so common in Indian cricket. Gavaskar, the first batter to score 10,000 runs in Test cricket pointed out that strict actions need to be taken and mentioned that top players should either be given the liberty to pick and choose series, or have their contracts altered accordingly.

"I honestly feel that the BCCI needs to look into this concept of rest. All the Grade A cricketers have received very good contracts. They receive payment for every match. Tell me if there is any company whose CEO, or MDs get so much time off? I feel that if Indian cricket is to become more professional, a line needs to be drawn. If you want to be rested, you need to reduce your guarantees. Then you take rest, because you don't want to play. But how can anyone say that I don't want to play for the Indian team. Which is why I do not agree to the concept," Gavaskar added.

link

57 minutes ago, R1shabh said:

Just drop him straight away. Completely unnecessary player. Can't bat, can't field, can't bowl.

Sunny G talking freely and raising valid points. Perosnally I feel whoever wants rest for playing for India and is fit and fine to play entire ipl shouldn't be selected for India thereafter. However this hero worship will go on without repurcussiona cos bcci doesn't give a sh*t except for minting money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harsh1387 said:

Sunny G talking freely and raising valid points. Perosnally I feel whoever wants rest for playing for India and is fit and fine to play entire ipl shouldn't be selected for India thereafter. However this hero worship will go on without repurcussiona cos bcci doesn't give a sh*t except for minting money. 

Even Venkatesh Prasad has now spoken, the guy hardly ever spoke except to Sohail. I agree with Gavaskar And Venky, this is ridicolous now. BCCI should probably start deducting money for these guys too proportianetly to each match they miss while being fit.

I wish I had this option in my office, see I came to office for 2 weeks in a row, I will take next month off as project is not that interesting, please continue to pay me though.

Good performance with the ball meanwhile, good to see our fast balling unit perform, not sure what is worng with them in second innings of test matches from sometime now though!

Edited by AtheK

Brohit is the polar opposite of Iyer. We have the best hooker in the world and also the worst hooker in the world in the team at the same time. I guess English players mistook Rohit for Iyer. So many short balls deposited for 6. Probably greatest hooker since Ponting :exoticdance:

2 hours ago, AtheK said:

Even Venkatesh Prasad has now spoken, the guy hardly ever spoke except to Sohail. I agree with Gavaskar And Venky, this is ridicolous now. BCCI should probably start deducting money for these guys too proportianetly to each match they miss while being fit.

I wish I had this option in my office, see I came to office for 2 weeks in a row, I will take next month off as project is not that interesting, please continue to pay me though.

Good performance with the ball meanwhile, good to see our fast balling unit perform, not sure what is worng with them in second innings of test matches from sometime now though!

Absolutely.

But like I said IPL is cash cow for bcci and they won't let anything disrupt it. Indian team performance is least of their worries. Sometimes I feel Lodha guys were actually good for Indian cricket cos since Jay Shah and Ganguly have joined hands our performances have gone downhill and controversies have risen a lot.

53 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

Brohit is the polar opposite of Iyer. We have the best hooker in the world and also the worst hooker in the world in the team at the same time. I guess English players mistook Rohit for Iyer. So many short balls deposited for 6. Probably greatest hooker since Ponting :exoticdance:

I feel Sachin doesn't get enough credit. He was excellent in playing short balls. Not only he had great pull and hook shots but he started the trend of upper cuts against SA in SA against a world class bowling attack. And who can forget his famous hook shot against Andrew caddick or his Pull shots against Australia in Desert storm series. However after his tennis elbow injury he reduced pulling a lot. 

Rohit has to be the best player of Pull/hook shot in world cricket. His strength is pulling the ball on front foot which is highly difficult thing to do on a technical level. 

Shreyas is terrible against short ball. If he won't rectify it soon his career is gonna go away.

Nice to see England humiliated. If Bumrah and others had played last T20 we would have won it for sure. 

Edited by harsh1387
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, harsh1387 said:

Absolutely.

But like I said IPL is cash cow for bcci and they won't let anything disrupt it. Indian team performance is least of their worries. Sometimes I feel Lodha guys were actually good for Indian cricket cos since Jay Shah and Ganguly have joined hands our performances have gone downhill and controversies have risen a lot.

I feel Sachin doesn't get enough credit. He was excellent in playing short balls. Not only he had great pull and hook shots but he started the trend of upper cuts against SA in SA against a world class bowling attack. And who can forget his famous hook shot against Andrew caddick or his Pull shots against Australia in Desert storm series. However after his tennis elbow injury he reduced pulling a lot. 

Rohit has to be the best player of Pull/hook shot in world cricket. His strength is pulling the ball on front foot which is highly difficult thing to do on a technical level. 

Shreyas is terrible against short ball. If he won't rectify it soon his career is gonna go away.

Nice to see England humiliated. If Bumrah and others had played last T20 we would have won it for sure. 

TBH, we tend to overlook Sachin due to his overall brilliance in every aspect of game so its hard to pick one shot. Yet, If I have to pick one, it has to be his straight drive. That was a majestic thing to watch. Bowlers like Lee and Akhtar hurling balls towards him at 155 Kmph and he smacking them back past them with a high elbow and full bat face. Hook shots look destructive but Straight drives are divine. 

• Like 1

WI T20 Squad: Rohit Sharma (c), Ishan Kishan, KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Deepak Hooda, Shreyas Iyer, Dinesh Karthik, Rishabh Pant, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, R Ashwin, Ravi Bishnoi, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Avesh Khan, Harshal Patel, Arshdeep Singh 

KL Rahul and Kuldeep are subject to fitness.

Kohli and Bumrah rested. Kohli must be seriously tired from making 100 after 100. 

How does Iyer keep getting selected and Samson keep getting ignored is beyond me. Iyer can't play pace and short balls and Samson can smash them nicely. Idiot selectors. 

And what is Ashwin doing in T20 again when these guys explicitly said he is in no plans for World cup. 

Edited by harsh1387
  • Like 2