The Book Thread

Amay

Its been a few months but finally got around to going back to the Dariyaganj old book bazaar again. They shifted it a few months ago to a different location (half a km from where it used to be) and while I appreciate the convenience of having all the book sellers in a small location, I feel like its missing the charm of walking the road and finding something interesting. Still, at least its still there. One of the few places where you are limited on what you buy not by money but how much you can carry. :lol: 

Here is the haul, total cost 700 Rs.

0dD1im7.jpg 

On 12/20/2019 at 12:51 PM, Madmage said:

Nothing beats a Kindle man...my fave gadget of the last 15 years hands down..

Much as I love my Kindle, it is never as good as a book. The actual weight of it in your hands, the musty smell, yellow pages and dog eared covers, a bookmark you have been using for years.  :wub:

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Just now, playstationdude said:

Maybe Artemis fowl?

Read those a long time ago, my middle school library had em.

Revision: Preferably high fantasy, with each book in the 500+ pages. Don't want something really short at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Read those a long time ago, my middle school library had em.

Revision: Preferably high fantasy, with each book in the 500+ pages. Don't want something really short at the moment. 

What authors' books have you already read? For example, if you've read Brandon Sanderson, then there is no point recommending him is there? We would only be listing all the famous authors here otherwise

26 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Twilight? :P

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked it.

At least Book 1 and 3. The movies were kinda bad, Kristen Stewart was like, devoid of personality. 

15 minutes ago, roun90 said:

What authors' books have you already read? For example, if you've read Brandon Sanderson, then there is no point recommending him is there? We would only be listing all the famous authors here otherwise

Yeah. I haven't read ASOIAF because the series isn't complete, and watching GoT is too long (plan to watch in the summer)

I've read a few authors, Sanderson, Rothfuss, Robin Hobb, Brent Weeks-Lightbringer (got stuck on Book 1 but will revisit later), Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, Locke Lamora Trilogy from Scott Lynch, Riyria Revelations by Sullivan, and a few really common ones meant for younger audiences like HP, Twilight, Percy Jackson (the movies suck big time)

Preferably recommend big names in the fantasy genre xD 

No bias against lesser known authors but wanna cross off popular names off the list first.

Also,Elantris is the only cosmere book I haven't read yet, because of people online who say it isn't much good. But what do you think?

Do get to Mistborn sometime, its frankly amazing. 

Edit: Oh yeah saw your 2nd post later (was on previous page when I made this post). Read some of Malazan. And frankly, Malazan confused the heck out of me. Could not make heads or tails out of it later on. A highly confusing series. And as I said, Wheel of Time starts out strong, but the middle books (From fifth book I think), it gets really boring. Some characters exist just to annoy the heck out of you and the story just keeps dragging on. It only gets interesting again from the 11th book when Sanderson takes over.

Haven't read either but thats what I've heard too. Supposedly Malazan Book of the Fallen, the first book is the weakest and doesn't make sense of the door. The series supposedly gets progressively better, and then it goes to amazing levels.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but would also love any recommendations for Travel Romance. Love the genre. Recently read "All the Bright Places"(now a Netflix movie also) , "Wanderlost" and "The Geography of Lost Things", loved 'em.

3 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yeah. I haven't read ASOIAF because the series isn't complete, and watching GoT is too long (plan to watch in the summer)

I've read a few authors, Sanderson, Rothfuss, Robin Hobb, Brent Weeks-Lightbringer (got stuck on Book 1 but will revisit later), Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, Locke Lamora Trilogy from Scott Lynch, Riyria Revelations by Sullivan, and a few really common ones meant for younger audiences like HP, Twilight, Percy Jackson (the movies suck big time)

Preferably recommend big names in the fantasy genre xD 

No bias against lesser known authors but wanna cross off popular names off the list first.

Proper names, first you should really complete Tolkien (Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales) They are absolutely amazing, and every person who is a fantasy fan should have it as a Must Read IMO

you should read these - First read David and Leigh Eddings books (Belgariad Series first and Malloreon is it's sequel series. Elenium is a new series and Tamuli is it's sequel series) . Those are light, but the stories are really good. Also read Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea series. Studio Ghibli even made an anime out of one of her stories, it was so good. Terry Brooks Shannara series is also a must, but it's very long consisting of multiple sub-series, each of 3 books which completes 1 story. Sword of Shannara Trilogy is the first Trilogy, followed by The Heritage of Shannara. If you look up the chronological order, you will find some series like the Genesis of Shannara Series before it. But read that trilogy later, because those stories were written later as a prequel and it will have more impact if you are already familiar with the Shannara World. Raymond E Feist also has multipleseries, starting with The Riftwar Saga (4 Books), Krondor's Sons Series (3 Books) Empire Trilogy, Serpentwar Saga (4 Books) and more. Malazan, I could not recommend, because it was confusing and boring (Pages worth of gods and too many people replacing themselves as Gods continuously, each of them having too many of their own "Houses" and all the while the main story was lost).

Will recommend more, when I remember it, but this should satisfy you for quite a bit of time.

Can't recommend Travel Romance though. I don't read that genre. Sorry for that.

12 hours ago, roun90 said:

Proper names, first you should really complete Tolkien (Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales) They are absolutely amazing, and every person who is a fantasy fan should have it as a Must Read IMO

you should read these - First read David and Leigh Eddings books (Belgariad Series first and Malloreon is it's sequel series. Elenium is a new series and Tamuli is it's sequel series) . Those are light, but the stories are really good. Also read Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea series. Studio Ghibli even made an anime out of one of her stories, it was so good. Terry Brooks Shannara series is also a must, but it's very long consisting of multiple sub-series, each of 3 books which completes 1 story. Sword of Shannara Trilogy is the first Trilogy, followed by The Heritage of Shannara. If you look up the chronological order, you will find some series like the Genesis of Shannara Series before it. But read that trilogy later, because those stories were written later as a prequel and it will have more impact if you are already familiar with the Shannara World. Raymond E Feist also has multipleseries, starting with The Riftwar Saga (4 Books), Krondor's Sons Series (3 Books) Empire Trilogy, Serpentwar Saga (4 Books) and more. Malazan, I could not recommend, because it was confusing and boring (Pages worth of gods and too many people replacing themselves as Gods continuously, each of them having too many of their own "Houses" and all the while the main story was lost).

Will recommend more, when I remember it, but this should satisfy you for quite a bit of time.

Can't recommend Travel Romance though. I don't read that genre. Sorry for that.

Any good Graphic novels ? I just completed Maus and it was really good. Have ordered Watchmen international edition as well.

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Any good Graphic novels ? I just completed Maus and it was really good. Have ordered Watchmen international edition as well.

'Y The last man' - remember reading it long time ago .... couldn't complete it, but whatever I read was engrossing.  Watchmen on the other hand was quite boring !

• Like 1

Could you suggest what kind of GN you are interested in, maybe then we can give better suggestions. But some of the more popular must reads are

Y the lastman

Sandman

Criminal.by brubaker

V for Vendetta

100 bullets

Preacher

And quite a few

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madmage said:

Could you suggest what kind of GN you are interested in, maybe then we can give better suggestions. But some of the more popular must reads are

Y the lastman

Sandman

Criminal.by brubaker

V for Vendetta

100 bullets

Preacher

And quite a few

Something like Maus.

Have ordered watchmen but Y and sandman are so freaking expensive. :fear:

9 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Something like Maus.

Have ordered watchmen but Y and sandman are so freaking expensive. :fear:

If you want something like Maus, then Persepolis is a good choice.

From what I've read recently, The Vision by Tom King and The Fade out by Ed Brubaker are both excellent.

And yeah, graphic novels are so freaking expensive :wallbash:

Also, we do have a graphic novels thread.

• Like 1

Finished Persian Fire by Tom Holland. 

Its about the Greek-Persian wars. And its a really great read. In the hands of someone less capable or someone more academic this might have read like a Wikipedia entry but Holland does a terrific job of laying out the world and the characters. The writing itself is great and he sprinkles the story with a lot of first person accounts and great anecdotes. Very Herodotus like. Highly recommended. 

On 3/9/2020 at 5:11 PM, playstationdude said:

I just finished Maus. Pretty good GN.

Can you guys recommend some other Good Graphic novels?

@Bird Bird Bird

Currently reading Kaijumax and I hate Fairyland. Both are pretty fun. 

If you like Maus, buy anything by Guy Delisle. He is possibly my favorite writer/animator and I have read his novels multiple times. All based on true reflections when he travels all over the world with his wife who works with MSF (Doctors without Borders). He even gets kidnapped (in real life), and his latest book is about that - Hostage ! The Burma Chronicles is possibly my favorite work. 

As somebody else said, Perspeolis is a great option (anything by Marjane Satrapi)

For some light reading - Death of Love by Justin Jordan - freaking hilarious. Same for Nimona, and anything by Julia Wertz (she's goddamn awesome) !

For horror - Wytches - f**king A !

Fables is another series which I highly recommend - Fairy tales on steroids - I don't think I have loved a fantasy GN more than Fables

• Like 1