The Travel Thread

MAK

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ne0 said:

Anybody drive from Bangalore to Goa and back, recently ? I'm planning to visit Goa during new year's , but read about bad road conditions due to construction work along the way.  Let me know if it's a cause for concern.

I don’t know about road trip but If you are going to Goa for the first time during New Year then it’s not that fun. All the places will be extremely crowded. Maybe try Pondicherry. Certainly less crowd compared to Goa but peace. :)

6 hours ago, GameAnalyzer said:

I don’t know about road trip but If you are going to Goa for the first time during New Year then it’s not that fun. All the places will be extremely crowded. Maybe try Pondicherry. Certainly less crowd compared to Goa but peace. :)

tickets are already booked, decided to take the flight.  But do let me know the good places to visit in and around candolim.  Hotel is near to that beach.

• 2 weeks later...

@Keano - thoughts on USA tour?

Planning to land in Chicago (friend lives there). From there we plan to go to Orlando (car trip) while stopping in Indianópolis -> Nashville -> Atlanta -> Orlando. 

2nd week: Chicago to Vegas (flight) -> LA. 

3rd week: pending at the moment.

I want to visit NYC but friend said it is just tourist trap and crowd. Nothing more. Your thoughts if you been there? 

Any other places/cities that are must visit? 

8 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

I barely  went around the states on the east coast(only been to Detroit and New Jersey). Visiting East coast states for a road trip depends on what time of the year you are planning to visit. IMO, It might be rough to do a road trip on the east coast states during the next two-three months. I agree with your friend's take on NYC. 

Since you are planning to go to Las Vegas - I suggest this. We did  this with a friend of mine in 2015. Grand Canyon National park is a four hour drive from LV, so you can do that too I guess.

This is something we did last winter and was a fun trip. 

Edited by Keano
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

I want to visit NYC but friend said it is just tourist trap 

Did your friend confuse it with Vegas? NY is pretty amazing. I mean that literally. It amazes you. It's a one of a kind place, much like Vegas, but while Vegas was built in and for the 60's, NY is and has been for all times. It carries a unique vibe. And it's quite a thing in the winter. 

Unless you frequent the states and have another trip lined up that you can cover NY with, I'd recommend that you do go there, even if for a short while. 

Edited by achilles
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Planning to land in Chicago (friend lives there). From there we plan to go to Orlando (car trip) while stopping in Indianópolis -> Nashville -> Atlanta -> Orlando. 

2nd week: Chicago to Vegas (flight) -> LA. 

3rd week: pending at the moment.

I want to visit NYC but friend said it is just tourist trap and crowd. Nothing more. Your thoughts if you been there? 

Any other places/cities that are must visit? 

I would recommend you to go and spend atleast a couple of days in NYC. It might be a concrete jungle and it might get crowded but it has a certain aura and energy, especially if you end up catching some gig in times square, or walk/cycle throughout the city while hitting every famous pizzeria for a slice. 

And in this weather you will find that energy doesn't die, you should really go there.

Edited by kunjanp
  • Like 1

Thanks, all. Always nice to see different recommendations. 

Apparently for road trip you need to drop off back to original location else have to pay drop off fee ($450 flat). So we might add couple more places to make it a circle.

But, we also checked flights and that seems way cheaper. Hmmm. So there is that dilemma too. 

8 hours ago, Keano said:

This is something we did last winter and was a fun trip. 

This looks fun. Did you stay in cities? How long/many days was that 45 hour drive divided into? Cost including fuel? 

Main location is Chicago at the moment as I'll be staying there. Planning to trip during spring break. March-April. 

unknown.png

This trip will require 318.9 gallons of gas, which amounts to a fuel cost of $956.57. Is that right? Gallon price is ~$3? 

Smaller circle

unknown.png

With flights won't be possible to take all destinations but looks cheaper? It would be Chicago to Orlando direct. Then Vegas -> Canyon drive. LA -> Chicago. 2-4 days for NY and Philly.

Thanks. ?

Edited by Heaven Angel

20 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

Anyone here has any knowledge/experience on a Trip to Vietnam. To and fro flights are cheaper than what I imagined them to be. Considering it for my next trip.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

Vacation or business?

My cousin went on a trip to Vietnam a year or two back, supposedly you can buy a glass of local beer for damn cheap from roadside vendors. I think he took a trip from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh....

1 hour ago, eddy4823 said:

Anyone here has any knowledge/experience on a Trip to Vietnam. To and fro flights are cheaper than what I imagined them to be. Considering it for my next trip.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

1.) Basically you should plan to arrive in Hanoi, try local food standouts and beer (if you partake), especially you will tons of pho outlets.

2) Then you can hit Sapa, it's a bit hilly area and used for agriculture but if you go at the right time, you will be able to see an awesome view, can also trek.

3) Followed by Halong Bay, think of it as a cheaper version of Phuket but still quite beautiful.

4) Follow down the coast to Hoi An, a bit of central Vietnam and you will find a lot of tourists but everyone being jolly, can check out Nguyen market.

5) End in Hoi Chi Minh city, it's a metropolis so just to experience vietnam.

You can skip Sapa if you want and go to Phu Quoc Island after you visit Hoi chi minh, spend a couple of days by the sea. But again, keep in mind that you need to end near airport.

Most of the tourists go from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh. So you can do it the other way around and save time on transit. 

Plus economy is in our favour over there, so everything will be cheap and for the price, it will be damn good.

Source: Close friend of mine just came back.

Edited by kunjanp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This looks fun. Did you stay in cities? How long/many days was that 45 hour drive divided into? Cost including fuel? 

I stayed at Zion NP and visited Bryce Canyon NP as it was a short drive from Zion. Stayed in Vegas, LA few days each. Met family in SFO and drove back to my home after that. 

This trip will require 318.9 gallons of gas, which amounts to a fuel cost of $956.57. Is that right? Gallon price is ~$3? 

it is +/- 30 cents to that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does somebody here live in Australia or visit frequently?

Thinking of taking a trip, Singapore(3N)>>Australia(Sydney+Melbourne). I think it sounds good, but wanna know how feasible it is.

Don't wish to take a package tour, unless its super value for money. I haven't been abroad before, so any and all tips appreciated.

(Also any idea how much money I'd be saving per person if I opt to fix this myself over a package tour?) 

Also: I need 3 nights in Sydney, with 1 day for regular exploration, and I plan to spend 1 day with a friend who goes to Univ. of Sydney. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Does somebody here live in Australia or visit frequently?

Thinking of taking a trip, Singapore(3N)>>Australia(Sydney+Melbourne). I think it sounds good, but wanna know how feasible it is.

Don't wish to take a package tour, unless its super value for money. I haven't been abroad before, so any and all tips appreciated.

(Also any idea how much money I'd be saving per person if I opt to fix this myself over a package tour?) 

Also: I need 3 nights in Sydney, with 1 day for regular exploration, and I plan to spend 1 day with a friend who goes to Univ. of Sydney. 

Package tours are terrible value. Never take one. Always plan your trip months ahead yourself and then go. Write everything down. From tickets to food to places you want to visit to entry fees to stay. You DO NOT want to do at last minute and end up wasting money.

Australia is huge. Don't come for 3 nights especially for both Sydney and Melbourne. Plan for a week at least. It still won't be enough to explore full but good enough for first time without getting fatigue. 

2-3 days will easily end at and around Harbour area.

unknown.png

Next day or day after plan for beaches. Take Bondi to Coogee walk. The hiking trail is absolutely stunning and with so many beaches to visit.

For day time/other days, you can visit:

Canberra

Dangar island

Hanging rock

Eagle head rock

Warragamba 

Bobbin head

Kiama

Jervis bay

Byron bay

Jenolan caves

Twelve Apostles and The great ocean road

Taronga Zoo - you can stay overnight in cool tents

Visit free museums

Catch a ferry from Circular Quay and visit Cockatoo island

Wendy's secret garden

Human disease museum

Forgotten Songs

Lex and Ruby graham gardens

Justic & Police museum

Purikura photoland 

List goes on...

If you are going as a couple, try the Harbour cruise. Night time cruise is a wonderful sight and your SO will love it. You will too. St. George open air cinema/Moonlight cinema is also lovely way to spend your evening. For stay, try to get cheap places. Sydney is usually expensive. So plan accordingly and before. 

Lots of cool stuff to do and see in Melbourne. 

For Singapore 3 days is somewhat enough. The airport itself has become a tourist spot. It was good last time but now even better. Like 10x.  

Absolutely visit Sentosa Island and watch the show. SO GOOD.

Take the night safari. You can't miss it.

Merlion - obvious. Around that area you can walk and check out markets. Lots of people but nice spot. 

Universal studios 

Jurong park

Esplanade 

Helix bridge - DNA design

Gardens by the bay

Haw Par villa 

Japanese cemetery park

Fountain of wealth and Suntec city - expensive area 

Haven't been to Marina Sands Bay but that view is stunning even from outside. If you want to take the rooftop pool, you will need to stay there. 

I would personally suggest Singapore-Malaysia and enjoy fully than coming to Australia for less than a week. Great places to visit otherwise. 

• Like 3

@Joe Cool Thats a lot. I'm actually gonna be going with my parents. That has two problems -

1. Rules out mostly any adventure stuff, scuba diving, long hikes, whatever.

2. My mom can't take the heat. Since we want to go in June itself, Singapore should be moderately hot, she feels uncomfortable after about 25-28°C.
(She's been to Singapore before once, i have not. Although I'm sure I can visit again in a few years. We just decided to club it in.)

Hence I don't mind taking Singapore out if the plan of that's what you recommend, and spend all my time in Australia itself.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Singapore weather is pretty much same throughout the year. It really doesn't feel that hot at all. You can cover Singapore in 3 days. Singapore-Malaysia in a week. Disneyland is great for everyone as long you don't mind waiting in queue. 

June-July+ is great weather in Sydney. Though daylight decreases as winter period begins. Perfect if you don't like summer (like me) much. 

@Chirag2001 If you are going to Night Safari - try and take the last time slot (11 pm at night I think it was) if possible. At the time, I was able to see almost all the animals as they were resting. One of my friend went at an earlier slot, and was able to see almost nothing - and came back complaining about waste of time and money (Mainly because all animals were roaming here and there at the time I guess). 

Also, everything - and I mean everything, except maybe some 24x7 Pharmacies and the Mustafa Merket - closes at 9 pm in Singapore, so plan your trip around that. When we were in Singapore, we could not get any restaurants even by around 8:45 (Including Sentosa) and it was almost surreal coming back at 9 pm hungry and being on one of the only 2 occupied cable cars - in the complete dark (Almost all lights switched off on the cable car ride). It's kinda pathetic for a tourist place actually (Resto/Food Court at Night Safari place was open thankfully). You might even experience your Hotel's In-room dining closing at 9 pm. So plan accordingly.

7 minutes ago, roun90 said:

@Chirag2001 If you are going to Night Safari - try and take the last time slot (11 pm at night I think it was) if possible. At the time, I was able to see almost all the animals as they were resting. One of my friend went at an earlier slot, and was able to see almost nothing - and came back complaining about waste of time and money (Mainly because all animals were roaming here and there at the time I guess). 

Also, everything - and I mean everything, except maybe some 24x7 Pharmacies and the Mustafa Merket - closes at 9 pm in Singapore, so plan your trip around that. When we were in Singapore, we could not get any restaurants even by around 8:45 (Including Sentosa) and it was almost surreal coming back at 9 pm hungry and being on one of the only 2 occupied cable cars - in the complete dark (Almost all lights switched off on the cable car ride). It's kinda pathetic for a tourist place actually (Resto/Food Court at Night Safari place was open thankfully). You might even experience your Hotel's In-room dining closing at 9 pm. So plan accordingly.

Was this recent? 

I took around 7-8ish PM for Night Safari. Animals were moving and kind of added more fun. Agree with everything closing (mainly streets) around 9pm but for food I never had issue. Resort was pretty much open whole night and people were chilling outside till 3-4 am. Didn't have issue with Sentosa island either. The show alone made the trip worth it.