The Travel Thread

MAK

32 minutes ago, Elijah058 said:

Any hotels or lounges in Singapore where I can comfortably spend 8-10 hours after arriving? My flight lands at Singapore's Terminal 2 around 3 AM, but my hotel check-in isn't until around 3 PM. I'm looking for a place where I can rest and freshen up, keep my luggage for approximately 6-8 hours, and I plan to use the remaining time to explore the airport. Also any other travel tips for Singapore are appreciated.

There’s Changi Lounge at Jewel Changi (near T1), but I don’t think they have showers. There are a few PPU lounges but AFAIR they are in transit areas and not accessible post arrival. 
Download the Changi app for better navigation. Get Klook to book tickets for wherever you are going. Tons of things to explore in Singapore. 
Grab is Singapore’s Uber. Also food delivery app. Download and add your card for easier access. If staying for long, get a Singtel SIM. 
Very walkable city (but hot). Excellent metro and bus connectivity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

There’s Changi Lounge at Jewel Changi (near T1), but I don’t think they have showers. There are a few PPU lounges but AFAIR they are in transit areas and not accessible post arrival. 
Download the Changi app for better navigation. Get Klook to book tickets for wherever you are going. Tons of things to explore in Singapore. 
Grab is Singapore’s Uber. Also food delivery app. Download and add your card for easier access. If staying for long, get a Singtel SIM. 
Very walkable city (but hot). Excellent metro and bus connectivity. 

Thank you!

Hong Kong flights booked for Christmas weekend! Def over-paid a little, but its mad difficult to coordinate a holiday with 4 friends in 4 different firms - I'd rather over pay and go than miss out. 

Please give any and all recs. Also, I've never taken Vistara internationally before. Is liquor/beer on the plane included in the ticket or not? It was when i took Air India to Singapore last. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, North said:

Hong Kong flights booked for Christmas weekend! Def over-paid a little, but its mad difficult to coordinate a holiday with 4 friends in 4 different firms - I'd rather over pay and go than miss out. 

Please give any and all recs. Also, I've never taken Vistara internationally before. Is liquor/beer on the plane included in the ticket or not? It was when i took Air India to Singapore last. 

all full service airlines give booze for free. go crazy.

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:04 AM, North said:

daru is free on intl flights, just don’t over do it please. Seen some embarrassing sh*t over the years

• Haha 3

On 11/3/2023 at 1:04 AM, North said:

Please give any and all recs.

Avoid the promenade light show, waste of time it was. Dragons back trail trek, the water park(ocean world I think) and the great buddha(through skyline or trek) are so f**ckin worth it. Lastly give the street food a shot, having dinner with friends, good food, lots of people everywhere in streets between the high rises, laughing your a*s out and having a good time is something else.

Have fun :)

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 8:46 PM, gecko89 said:

Avoid the promenade light show, waste of time it was. Dragons back trail trek, the water park(ocean world I think) and the great buddha(through skyline or trek) are so f**ckin worth it. Lastly give the street food a shot, having dinner with friends, good food, lots of people everywhere in streets between the high rises, laughing your a*s out and having a good time is something else.

Have fun :)

sort sort. my friends are really intent on going to Disneyland. I haven't been, I've been to Universal in Singapore though. 

I'm more of a nature and city person, i'm not huge about amusement parks but f**k it this is a friends trip. Got a sweet deal on a hotel suite for our stay as well!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

whats the card recommendation for international travel? 

I had the niyo global debit for my trips to Singapore and Vietnam last year - was very happy, but I think that no longer works the same way right?

I fly to Hong Kong in 20 days - what card should I get? 

@KunjanPSD@Bird Bird Bird tagging you guys if you can throw some insight

20 minutes ago, North said:

I had the niyo global debit for my trips to Singapore and Vietnam last year - was very happy, but I think that no longer works the same way right?

I use Fi. Works great at HK. 

46 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I use Fi. Works great at HK. 

okay, i'll look it up? 

does it work like the Niyo? I add it to the account in INR - and just spend in HKD at close-to-current conversion rate without any charges?

also, ATM withdrawl fees?  

2 hours ago, North said:

okay, i'll look it up? 

does it work like the Niyo? I add it to the account in INR - and just spend in HKD at close-to-current conversion rate without any charges?

Yes to former. I haven't used it at ATMs, so dunno. Check their site. 

7 hours ago, North said:

Definitely get the octopus card at the airport when you land. It is super convenient and is accepted everywhere and specially since you will be using the subway a lot (because that’s the best way to move around HK).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperT said:

Definitely get the octopus card at the airport when you land. It is super convenient and is accepted everywhere and specially since you will be using the subway a lot (because that’s the best way to move around HK).

Oh yeah. Taxis are super expensive, and local taxi guys are super rude as well (only accept cash). Uber wi accept cards too, but nothing beats subway. 

9 hours ago, North said:

okay, i'll look it up? 

There are tiers, basic one won't get you much. You will have to keep (I think 50kish) a certain amount to have the higher tier which comes with unlimited no forex spends. Works good as you can always take the money out after your travel.

Otherwise, get Scapia. It's a CC, most likely you should get it. No forex, but you won't be able to withdraw cash. It's issued by Federal bank, just like Fi, will work fine.

• Thanks 1