The Xbox Series X|S thread

On 4/30/2021 at 6:29 PM, CarbonCore said:

MS calls it a 1440p box but very few games run at that resolution lol. Ultimately it'll be a 1080p or 900p box but maintaining high fps. The gap is only going to get wider as gen progresses and big consoles start getting 1440p or even 1080p games. Xbone was only 30% less powerful than PS4, SS is 300% less powerful than SX with a terrible bandwidth. What will happen if you get a game that runs at 1080p/60 max on SX? 

I wonder if it'll be able to do "4K" once AMD unlocks their version of DLSS on both systems, though? Hmmm.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Nope. It's more likely they'll target 1440p with DLSS. 

That's the thing. I don't think console games are compiled to render at anything other 1080p and 4K? Some games are variable, but I don't think I've ever seen a 1440p console game. You may need to specifically patch for that, which most devs may not do.

9 minutes ago, AnK said:

They have already done that recently 

FidelityFX has been unlocked on Xbox SDK  

FidelityFX is not the DLSS equivalent, 'FidelityFX Super Resolution' is. It's not even available on PC's yet AFAIK.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

That's the thing. I don't think console games are compiled to render at anything other 1080p and 4K? Some games are variable, but I don't think I've ever seen a 1440p console game. You may need to specifically patch for that, which most devs may not do.

That's output resolution. Internally games run at wildly different native res. For eg. all ND games on PS4 run at 1440p on Pro and then upscale to 4k. AMD also can't really match the AI upscaler of DLSS yet. Nvidia literally put billions in their AI tech, how can AMD compete with that lol.

• Like 2

Fidelity FX is the suite of tools from AMD. 'Super resolution' (DLSS equivalent) is one of the solutions in that suite. Other solutions being image/contrast sharpener, denoiser, downsampling etc

• Like 1

So then the question is whether both current gen systems will get the Super Resolution feature as part of the Fidelity FX rollout. Has AMD said anything? And what about the rest of the features (image/contrast sharpening, etc.)?

I feel like it's going to be important down the line so we can avoid unnecessary upgrades :/

2 hours ago, Keyofx said:

So then the question is whether both current gen systems will get the Super Resolution feature as part of the Fidelity FX rollout. Has AMD said anything? And what about the rest of the features (image/contrast sharpening, etc.)?

I feel like it's going to be important down the line so we can avoid unnecessary upgrades :/

AMD this week made select capabilities of its FidelityFX package available to Microsoft Xbox Series X|S developers. For Xbox Series X|S, AMD makes available FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS), Variable Shading, and ray-traced shadow Denoiser technologies, which are already supported by numerous PC games. 

Earlier AMD said that it was going to support arguably the most anticipated FidelityFX Super Resolution technology available on all RDNA/RDNA2 platforms, which includes PCs running AMD's Radeon RX 5000 and Radeon RX 6000-series GPUs, Microsoft's Xbox Series X|S, and Sony's PlayStation 5. Meanwhile, the company has not disclosed when it plans to roll out its FSR.

More info here.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

15 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

That's output resolution. Internally games run at wildly different native res. For eg. all ND games on PS4 run at 1440p on Pro and then upscale to 4k. AMD also can't really match the AI upscaler of DLSS yet. Nvidia literally put billions in their AI tech, how can AMD compete with that lol.

this!

Also, DLSS has an upper hand because of the hardware it runs on.  

The money I saved due to MLB the Show 21 being on gamepass, I bought MotoGP 21 with it.

I absolutely suck at this game. Even on easiest difficulty and all assists being on, I keep sliding out of race track.

I keep sucking at these sim racing games but still keep buying them, thinking I'll be better.

Really angry at myself for wasting money on sim racing, again.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, makdi_manav said:

The money I saved due to MLB the Show 21 being on gamepass, I bought MotoGP 21 with it.

I absolutely suck at this game. Even on easiest difficulty and all assists being on, I keep sliding out of race track.

I keep sucking at these sim racing games but still keep buying them, thinking I'll be better.

Really angry at myself for wasting money on sim racing, again.

its ok man. dont be so tough on yourself. and remember, things could always be worse........

Spoiler

like MotoGP 21 coming to gamepass this month.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Started Gears 4. Looks bloody incredible. Easily stands shoulder to shoulder with the best out there like games by Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica etc. Wizards at The Coalition :majesty: 

Tried Dolby Atmos for headphones. Initially I was very skeptical but the sound mastering in Gears 4 is brilliant and supports Atmos properly. Sound positioning is very accurate. 

Stellar audio visual presentation overall. But supports only 30fps on XSX.

• Like 1