Sign in to follow this  
MAK

The Travel Thread

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Does somebody here live in Australia or visit frequently?

Thinking of taking a trip, Singapore(3N)>>Australia(Sydney+Melbourne). I think it sounds good, but wanna know how feasible it is.

Don't wish to take a package tour, unless its super value for money. I haven't been abroad before, so any and all tips appreciated.

(Also any idea how much money I'd be saving per person if I opt to fix this myself over a package tour?) 

Also: I need 3 nights in Sydney, with 1 day for regular exploration, and I plan to spend 1 day with a friend who goes to Univ. of Sydney. 

Package tours are terrible value. Never take one. Always plan your trip months ahead yourself and then go. Write everything down. From tickets to food to places you want to visit to entry fees to stay. You DO NOT want to do at last minute and end up wasting money.

Australia is huge. Don't come for 3 nights especially for both Sydney and Melbourne. Plan for a week at least. It still won't be enough to explore full but good enough for first time without getting fatigue. 

2-3 days will easily end at and around Harbour area.

unknown.png

Next day or day after plan for beaches. Take Bondi to Coogee walk. The hiking trail is absolutely stunning and with so many beaches to visit.

For day time/other days, you can visit:

Canberra

Dangar island

Hanging rock

Eagle head rock

Warragamba 

Bobbin head

Kiama

Jervis bay

Byron bay

Jenolan caves

Twelve Apostles and The great ocean road

Taronga Zoo - you can stay overnight in cool tents

Visit free museums

Catch a ferry from Circular Quay and visit Cockatoo island

Wendy's secret garden

Human disease museum

Forgotten Songs

Lex and Ruby graham gardens

Justic & Police museum

Purikura photoland 

List goes on...

If you are going as a couple, try the Harbour cruise. Night time cruise is a wonderful sight and your SO will love it. You will too. St. George open air cinema/Moonlight cinema is also lovely way to spend your evening. For stay, try to get cheap places. Sydney is usually expensive. So plan accordingly and before. 

Lots of cool stuff to do and see in Melbourne. 

For Singapore 3 days is somewhat enough. The airport itself has become a tourist spot. It was good last time but now even better. Like 10x.  

Absolutely visit Sentosa Island and watch the show. SO GOOD.

Take the night safari. You can't miss it.

Merlion - obvious. Around that area you can walk and check out markets. Lots of people but nice spot. 

Universal studios 

Jurong park

Esplanade 

Helix bridge - DNA design

Gardens by the bay

Haw Par villa 

Japanese cemetery park

Fountain of wealth and Suntec city - expensive area 

Haven't been to Marina Sands Bay but that view is stunning even from outside. If you want to take the rooftop pool, you will need to stay there. 

I would personally suggest Singapore-Malaysia and enjoy fully than coming to Australia for less than a week. Great places to visit otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Joe Cool Thats a lot. I'm actually gonna be going with my parents. That has two problems -

1. Rules out mostly any adventure stuff, scuba diving, long hikes, whatever.

2. My mom can't take the heat. Since we want to go in June itself, Singapore should be moderately hot, she feels uncomfortable after about 25-28°C.
(She's been to Singapore before once, i have not. Although I'm sure I can visit again in a few years. We just decided to club it in.)

Hence I don't mind taking Singapore out if the plan of that's what you recommend, and spend all my time in Australia itself.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Singapore weather is pretty much same throughout the year. It really doesn't feel that hot at all. You can cover Singapore in 3 days. Singapore-Malaysia in a week. Disneyland is great for everyone as long you don't mind waiting in queue. 

June-July+ is great weather in Sydney. Though daylight decreases as winter period begins. Perfect if you don't like summer (like me) much. 

@Chirag2001 If you are going to Night Safari - try and take the last time slot (11 pm at night I think it was) if possible. At the time, I was able to see almost all the animals as they were resting. One of my friend went at an earlier slot, and was able to see almost nothing - and came back complaining about waste of time and money (Mainly because all animals were roaming here and there at the time I guess). 

Also, everything - and I mean everything, except maybe some 24x7 Pharmacies and the Mustafa Merket - closes at 9 pm in Singapore, so plan your trip around that. When we were in Singapore, we could not get any restaurants even by around 8:45 (Including Sentosa) and it was almost surreal coming back at 9 pm hungry and being on one of the only 2 occupied cable cars - in the complete dark (Almost all lights switched off on the cable car ride). It's kinda pathetic for a tourist place actually (Resto/Food Court at Night Safari place was open thankfully). You might even experience your Hotel's In-room dining closing at 9 pm. So plan accordingly.

7 minutes ago, roun90 said:

@Chirag2001 If you are going to Night Safari - try and take the last time slot (11 pm at night I think it was) if possible. At the time, I was able to see almost all the animals as they were resting. One of my friend went at an earlier slot, and was able to see almost nothing - and came back complaining about waste of time and money (Mainly because all animals were roaming here and there at the time I guess). 

Also, everything - and I mean everything, except maybe some 24x7 Pharmacies and the Mustafa Merket - closes at 9 pm in Singapore, so plan your trip around that. When we were in Singapore, we could not get any restaurants even by around 8:45 (Including Sentosa) and it was almost surreal coming back at 9 pm hungry and being on one of the only 2 occupied cable cars - in the complete dark (Almost all lights switched off on the cable car ride). It's kinda pathetic for a tourist place actually (Resto/Food Court at Night Safari place was open thankfully). You might even experience your Hotel's In-room dining closing at 9 pm. So plan accordingly.

Was this recent? 

I took around 7-8ish PM for Night Safari. Animals were moving and kind of added more fun. Agree with everything closing (mainly streets) around 9pm but for food I never had issue. Resort was pretty much open whole night and people were chilling outside till 3-4 am. Didn't have issue with Sentosa island either. The show alone made the trip worth it. 

Just now, Joe Cool said:

Was this recent? 

I took around 7-8ish PM for Night Safari. Animals were moving and kind of added more fun. Agree with everything closing (mainly streets) around 9pm but for food I never had issue. Resort was pretty much open whole night and people were chilling outside till 3-4 am. Didn't have issue with Sentosa island either. The show alone made the trip worth it. 

I went in 2018, so you can kinda call it recent. Thing about animals moving around - it's a gamble. You can either see some, or you can see nothing at all - in which case you would have just enjoyed a boring jeep trip and seen some grass and trees, while the speaker announces to the left you can see rhinos etc. That happened to my friend who went in 2017 and with me when I went first time in 2008. Even when animals are resting it is still very fun. Hearing elephants trumpet (and maybe even lions roar) in the absolute silence of the night is deafening and absolutely awesome. Plus, you should be able to see everything (and no - the animals were not sleeping, some were moving and others sitting and looking at us).

I don't think anything would have changed since 2018, so yes - almost everything closed by 9 m. Some might juuust be open till 10 pm, if you're lucky. Other than the Mustafa Center, and the Night Safari resort, everything just shut down, including at Sentosa (and all malls ofc).

We stayed at the Orchid Country Club, which was a premier club and resort, and even around that - everything shut down (Look at staying there btw @Chirag2001. It's a beautiful, relaxing place and very much worth it)

• Like 2

2018 is pretty recent. Fair enough. My trip was long before that when Marina was pretty new. Night Safari and Sentosa were my favorite though.

Back then Mustafa was expensive for every little thing. Was good for window shopping though. Time flies there. 

@Chirag2001 Oh yeah, if you're visiting Singapore, visit Gardens by the Bay (Including the attached Cloud Forest and Flower Dome - you have to buy tickets for all three). It's absolutely amazing. It was established in 2015, but the Singapore Govt. has managed to create an artificial rainforest. It was an absolutely amazing experience for me, and it even featured on BBC Planet Earth 2 (where I first heard about it). Do keep an evening free to visit it. 

@Joe Cool If you went when the Marina was new, I assume it was 2008 - 2010 ish. You should know that the laser show in Sentosa has changed (I saw it in 2008). The 2008 one was amazing. The new one, though is kinda meh (Though I'm not sure if it's the show itself or me growing up). But they still keep the original Pirate movie in the Sentosa 4D theater - which is still absolutely amazing and a must watch - still the actual OG 4D experience. They also show a 4D special Rock (Dwayne Johnson's) movie - Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (This version is made specially for 4D and not the Theater/TV version) - and it's kinda pathetic. Which shows the OG attractions had some magic about them.

Edited by roun90

I appreciate the Singapore tips, will hopefully get to put them to use soon enough.
But eyes on Australia for now.
I can do about 7-8 nights, and wanna stick to Melbourne and Sydney.
I have a friend in Sydney with who I plan to explore around a good bit, but need stuff I can do with my parents and they cant walk around a ton.....

Also I haven't looked into how to get started on finalising this vacation. Can somebody tell me the procedure and what steps do I need to get done?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Banz said:

Leaving for Jaipur tomorrow evening. I'll be staying there for a month for work related training. What are some places I should visit? Recommendations for any nice restaurants? 

There this small chain of restaurants called tapri...

• Like 1

I am starting a blog / website for travel specifically targeting Indians and encouraging Indians to travel more. 

How we look to be different from the 1000s other blogs out there is that we will be focusing on educating the interested Indian public on the whole economy of frequent flier points, how to use them and claim them right and how high end credit cards fit into this. 

Please check it out and leave comments here. Yes the content is sparse, but will be updated frequently. 

Filter To Flat White

I am especially proud of my analysis on the AMEX platinum

Edited by The Wolfy among us
  • Like 3

I know its mostly China, and Korea and certain parts of Europe like Italy etc which are affected most.

But green light for Australia? That's where I planned to go this summer, thankfully seems okay with respect to the Corona Virus epidemic but since most flights go through SE Asia, and usually have lay-overs I'm kinda worried.

Flights these days are getting cancelled left and right right now, although I plan to go in June. 

Please advise. 

21 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I know its mostly China, and Korea and certain parts of Europe like Italy etc which are affected most.

But green light for Australia? That's where I planned to go this summer, thankfully seems okay with respect to the Corona Virus epidemic but since most flights go through SE Asia, and usually have lay-overs I'm kinda worried.

Flights these days are getting cancelled left and right right now, although I plan to go in June. 

Please advise. 

It's mostly those places for now but the virus travels. I will advise to not make any firm plans right now or atleast book flights and hotels which are refundable because the way it has been spreading, it's not too far fetched to imagine that more countries will report it especially with the new measures going in to increase screening accuracy.

And since Singapore is probably gonna be the spot for transit, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I myself had plans for Australia in May but I am not going through with them. Plus, don't let anyone tell you that hot Australian weather will help because May/June is Winter season in Australia and many studies are coming up with showing resistance to weather for the virus.

8 hours ago, kunjanp said:

It's mostly those places for now but the virus travels. I will advise to not make any firm plans right now or atleast book flights and hotels which are refundable because the way it has been spreading, it's not too far fetched to imagine that more countries will report it especially with the new measures going in to increase screening accuracy.

And since Singapore is probably gonna be the spot for transit, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I myself had plans for Australia in May but I am not going through with them. Plus, don't let anyone tell you that hot Australian weather will help because May/June is Winter season in Australia and many studies are coming up with showing resistance to weather for the virus.

No the weather is favourable, I prefer colder temperatures. Not snowy, but the 10-20 degrees is what my family likes. 

Yeah I'm not booking anything yet which won't be refundable. Who knows what might happen? But as of now Australia is looking okay, why did you cancel though?

Transit spot will be either Singapore or KL.Though my aunt had tickets to Vietnam in this first week of March, Singapore Airlines cancelled but they refunded the money minus convenience fee. 

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

No the weather is favourable, I prefer colder temperatures. Not snowy, but the 10-20 degrees is what my family likes. 

Yeah I'm not booking anything yet which won't be refundable. Who knows what might happen? But as of now Australia is looking okay, why did you cancel though?

Transit spot will be either Singapore or KL.Though my aunt had tickets to Vietnam in this first week of March, Singapore Airlines cancelled but they refunded the money minus convenience fee. 

By favourable temperature I meant about the reports which says Coronavirus will slow down in areas with warm temperatures. Many new studies and reports are saying that virus will still end up spreading.

But in cool/cold temperatures like 10-20 degrees, the virus will certainly be more active.

I cancelled because the stop was in Singapore and Australia is a tourist place, people come from all over. The chances of contamination are high.

Airlines are refunding the amount but as far as I know, only for the tickets which were booked before the outbreak or which has travel in March. If you are buying your tickets now while knowing the risk, airlines might not give you refunds. 

I will advise to not plan your trip but if you do, pay more for the fully refundable tickets and hotels. 

3 hours ago, kunjanp said:

. I will advise to not plan your trip but if you do, pay more for the fully refundable tickets and hotels. 

Yeah I'm still in the planning phase. Im not risking any money at the moment anyway.

I do wanna go ahead with it though, so hopefully this cools down by then