StormShadow

~The TV Shows Thread~

3 hours ago, adity said:

Watch bojack horseman. Also, I don't know of you've watched it but peep show is also a great comedy show. 

Yeah, heard a lot about Bojack but never tried.

Good Omens turned out great. A breath of fresh air. 

Finished the boys. Really, really good show. Between this, umbrella academy and titans, superhero TV shows are really kicking a*s right now. 

First off, the characters are super well done and so is the acting. Every single actor on the show f**king nails it. Karl Urban is a treat to watch and Antony Starr as Homelander is honestly some 10/10. He f**king owns every scene he's in with that evil smirk and really powerful presence. 

Another thing is how good the production values are. Everything just looks really slick. You feel like you're watching an 8 hour movie. 

Although it does kind of fall off towards the mid point but that's the only complaint I have with this. 

Solid 8/10 show. Do give it a watch. 

Watching The Boys and it is quite compelling. Though no one, and I mean no one seems to f**king enunciate in that world. I haven't had to rejig the subtitles for incomprehensible dialog so many times in any other thing ever. It also doesn't help that switching subtitles is so crappy in Fire TV stick. It's like 7 clicks. 

Apple TV has it right. You tell Siri "What did they say?" and she'd skip back about 10 seconds and switch on subtitles for that dialog, and then switch it back off, without you having to lift a finger. 

9 hours ago, adity said:

Finished the boys. Really, really good show. Between this, umbrella academy and titans, superhero TV shows are really kicking a*s right now. 

First off, the characters are super well done and so is the acting. Every single actor on the show f**king nails it. Karl Urban is a treat to watch and Antony Starr as Homelander is honestly some 10/10. He f**king owns every scene he's in with that evil smirk and really powerful presence. 

Another thing is how good the production values are. Everything just looks really slick. You feel like you're watching an 8 hour movie. 

Although it does kind of fall off towards the mid point but that's the only complaint I have with this. 

Solid 8/10 show. Do give it a watch. 

Absolutely. E7 and 8 is when things really start going south. 

Great show. 

I feel a lot of these shows would have done much better had they been released traditionally on tv rather than online. Higher viewership plus they would probably not get cancelled that early. Case in point being some excellent shows such as Dirk gently and The tick which were cancelled too soon.

Actually network shows have 60% cancellation rate. It's just hard to make a good successful shows "and" also bring profits.

Like Dirk Genty was amazing but sadly wasn't advertised enough and in result no many even heard or saw it till it got cancelled. So in those cases, publishers are better off cancelling it than pushing it forward as they are lost the subs/battle. 

Netflix has reached saturation with U.S. subscribers, they seem to be having difficulty evaluating what shows are worth keeping. Without an ad model, shows live or die by their ability to drive subscriptions. They are having little rough time and need to gamble with new shows more and more as their Original are 90% crap. It's all about building library fast now to gain more subs. 

2016: Will Netflix save it? 2019: Who will save it from Netflix? QxkDB72.gif 

It's been happening, and I've seen how my mom has taken to Netflix. She's barely watching TV anymore. Netflix has very cleverly, yet delicately, pivoted to content that is catered more towards women. 

It's that audience that is going to drive growth for them, like it happened with traditional TV. Women GECs and rom-coms rule. 

Anyway, finished The Boys and was disappointed. The ending was pretty great, but overall I thought the show had (much) more potential, and there weren't really too many memorable moments. 

I think they suffered from not having an experienced hand behind them. For eg, I think if this was on HBO, it would've come out much better. The balance was off. The build-ups, the holy grail of any revenge story, were inconsistent. The reveals and flashbacks could have been placed better. 

The audio, specially speech, was messed up. I have a system now that can pick up these things. Not only was the level different in different episodes, it was quite irritating how those two cunts, Butch and Frenchie were mumbling, probably trying to get the accent(s) correct. Pardon my french, but f**k those f**kers who don't enunciate :P

I also wish they'd shown atleast one super fight that was a proper fight. Goddamn MCU has spoiled us in that area. 

I might give the second season a chance. The characters, the setting, the premise, all were compelling to me. But it just kind of goes nowhere for a bit, and then meanders, seemingly going nowhere, then shoots across major stuff quickly, and so on. 

The music choices are pretty good for the most part. 

All in all, a good show, and mostly worth watching, but no real wow moments in 8 or so hours. Except for that end. That was just.. yeah. :D 

Spoiler

Also, no respite for Aquaman anywhere. Diversity hire :rofl: 

First 4 episodes of the Boys were great and I was thinking they building nicely towards a Superhero Killing fight episode but it never came. Trailer was full on vibing with watch this show if you want to see how to kill superheroes. Although now we know the backstory stuff and other BS second season might be action packed. 

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Actually network shows have 60% cancellation rate. It's just hard to make a good successful shows "and" also bring profits.

Like Dirk Genty was amazing but sadly wasn't advertised enough and in result no many even heard or saw it till it got cancelled. So in those cases, publishers are better off cancelling it than pushing it forward as they are lost the subs/battle. 

Netflix has reached saturation with U.S. subscribers, they seem to be having difficulty evaluating what shows are worth keeping. Without an ad model, shows live or die by their ability to drive subscriptions. They are having little rough time and need to gamble with new shows more and more as their Original are 90% crap. It's all about building library fast now to gain more subs. 

2016: Will Netflix save it? 2019: Who will save it from Netflix? QxkDB72.gif 

See thats the thing. Had Dirk gently been released on network tv it would have automatically been advertised to a larger audience.

22 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

See thats the thing. Had Dirk gently been released on network tv it would have automatically been advertised to a larger audience.

You see both networks and Netflix judge shows by the same metrics viz. number of viewers. It would've been the same regardless of where it released. Also, the producers did shop around for other networks but no one was interested. 

Disney announces $12.99 bundle for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+

Disney will offer a bundle package of its three streaming services — Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ — for $12.99 a month starting on November 12th, the company announced today.

Hmm. Hulu will still have ads. Non-ad version won't be bundled (at least not at start).