Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

The Shining : 7.5/10

Didnt exactly scare me, at more than 1 moment. But it did a great job in creating an isolated environment and its a perfect setting for a horror movie. I can see where the John Cusack movie got its idea from(Room 1608 I think). Jack Nicholson was fantastic. Looked the part and played it to perfection.

Sherlock Holmes : 8.5/10

I remember reading in several places that they had changed the Sherlock Holmes character for the movie. Ive been a childhood Sherlock fan. Read all the stories and novels atleast twice. So, for me, it was a bit of shock surprise to find that my hero is being changed to suit modern movie audiences. But I watched the movie and thought to myself, thats exactly how I remember Holmes from the books. Master of disguises, witty, quick thinking, always logical and scientific, not the lady lover, smokes the pipe to help him deduce better and also the Stradivarius and the fighting skills. Everything fit. It was an excellent plot. Watson was played well by Jude Law and Blackwood by Mark Strong. Recommend all to watch the movie.

shekdown ... how old r u ? if u 35+ i can undrstnd cause everyday aftr 35 u keep loosin 1000 brain cells...

Shining is the best movie EVER.....nothin comes close to it NOTHIN

dnt mind my first line dood was jus kiddin..but was pretty dam serious bout the 2nd :P

The Shining lower than Sherlock Holmes? :rant:

He is right. :(

Actually for what its worth, Shining the book is amazingly scary. MUCH better than the film.

Watched Michael Moore's Capitalism, a masterpiece. :suicide:

Oh wanted to watch this but forgot. Thanks for the heads up.

I havent watched The Machinist, but Im talking about acting class, and not just the movie. The Prestige is the better movie, but American Psycho is absolutely brilliant as a movie and even brilliant as an acting treat. Easily Bale's best performance in acting terms, is what I meant.

Do give 'the machinist' a watch, I'm sure you'll change your opinion :doh:. You'll appreciate the length to which this actor goes to look and play the part.

Do give 'the machinist' a watch, I'm sure you'll change your opinion :doh:. You'll appreciate the length to which this actor goes to look and play the part.

Its scary what he did to look the part but I still think (like Shekdown says) American Psycho is his best stuff.

The Shining lower than Sherlock Holmes? :P

shekdown ... how old r u ? if u 35+ i can undrstnd cause everyday aftr 35 u keep loosin 1000 brain cells...

Shining is the best movie EVER.....nothin comes close to it NOTHIN

dnt mind my first line dood was jus kiddin..but was pretty dam serious bout the 2nd :doh:

Umm no. Im not 35+, but Ill guarantee you that my brain cells are very much intact, infact, their in pristine working condition, probably better off than most other people. Like Afterrunner has said, which Ive quoted below, The Shining, as the book, was brilliant. It created a perfect eerie and scary atmosphere. The Shining movie has considerably changed a lot of stuff from the book, and I mean a lot. The book pulled off an experience where the reader would get scared with every turn.

I still really liked movie, nonetheless, but I felt with every turn I only had anticipation, and not fear. There were maybe moments, at the most, where I felt scared, and they were more of the sudden loud sounds and jerking incidents. I felt it had a lot of potential and didnt live up to what it could have been, as a horror. But lived up to its best as a thriller.

He is right. :yawn:

Actually for what its worth, Shining the book is amazingly scary. MUCH better than the film.

Oh wanted to watch this but forgot. Thanks for the heads up.

Do give 'the machinist' a watch, I'm sure you'll change your opinion :D. You'll appreciate the length to which this actor goes to look and play the part.

Ill try to get on it this week. Im relatively free from work, so I might catch up on some movies that Ive missed. Ill add this on to my list.

Do give 'the machinist' a watch, I'm sure you'll change your opinion :D. You'll appreciate the length to which this actor goes to look and play the part.

machinist was awesum..!!

bale was excellent in it... gripping screenplay..!!

The Shining : 7.5/10

Didnt exactly scare me, at more than 1 moment. But it did a great job in creating an isolated environment and its a perfect setting for a horror movie. I can see where the John Cusack movie got its idea from(Room 1608 I think). Jack Nicholson was fantastic. Looked the part and played it to perfection.

It's 1408. And both The Shining and 1408 are Stephen King stories.