The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

1 minute ago, dylanjosh said:

Somebody mentioned that SD and HD looks really bad on 4k screens. How is true is that? :scratchchin:

SD does look really bad, but I fully expect a 480p (?) image to look bad in a 55 inch screen.

HD depends on source streaming quality.

Shows in Prime look great even at 1080P, Hotstar.. not so much.

10 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Somebody mentioned that SD and HD looks really bad on 4k screens. How is true is that? :scratchchin:

:rofl: SD may be, although I have hardly watched 1% of SD content. HD will look top notch.. HD channels + 720p content too. Put gaming in perspective > PS2 does look bad on a 4K screen but PS360 looks so great..

6 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Nope. HD or full HD look really good on 4k TV. Sometimes, I couldn't even tell the difference between 1080p and 4k.

You need better quality content. :P

Honestly, in a high end TV you should be able to see difference between low bitrate and high bitrate PQ, not just 1080p and 4k. 

I see a HUGE difference the two when comparing a typical HDR rip (10-20 Mbps) vs bluray (40-70 Mbps) on an OLED screen. And this is just 4k vs 4k. FHD vs 4k is clearly visible tbh. 

32 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

You need better quality content. :P

Honestly, in a high end TV you should be able to see difference between low bitrate and high bitrate PQ, not just 1080p and 4k. 

I see a HUGE difference the two when comparing a typical HDR rip (10-20 Mbps) vs bluray (40-70 Mbps) on an OLED screen. And this is just 4k vs 4k. FHD vs 4k is clearly visible tbh. 

One more thing to add to it is the panel's ability to upscale content. Some TVs do a phenomenal job of upscaling regular SD content. Difference is always noticeable, but it stands out the image processing is bad on a particular panel. 

14 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

One more thing to add to it is the panel's ability to upscale content. Some TVs do a phenomenal job of upscaling regular SD content. Difference is always noticeable, but it stands out the image processing is bad on a particular panel. 

Oh, absolutely. But saying there's no difference 1080p and 4k is a tough sell. 

On 10/1/2020 at 5:21 PM, lithuvien said:

The whole TV looks like a framed picture. I'll try to post a picture here. 

Hey, so how about that picture? :) 

On 10/8/2020 at 12:04 AM, dante77 said:

This arrived! 027f2d5d9b7fa87674175c826316cfa4.jpg

Congrats! How's it going with this? How's the TV? You using the "art mode"? 

Edited by achilles

21 hours ago, Kushagra said:

So visited 3 stores today to shop for an OLED, and my god what an utter embarrassment. They were bemused when I mentioned the prices at which I'm looking to pick a CX 55" i.e. 1.25L. Couple of them pointed me towards ki, "Sir, online 1.65L ke niche nahi hai, Croma pe dekhiye. Amazon pe 1.8L ki hai! Aap kaha se ye prices le aa rahe hai?" I sheepishly said, some guy on a forum got a price of 1.25L in Mumbai, to promptly get a retort of "Sir, jab aap ye price pe le lijiyega to hume bata dena, hum bhi order laga denge" :wallbash:

Problems of living in a small city I guess!

Might as well cave for a X900H now, 97k is not a bad price on Amazon :suicide:

I had the same feeling in even Delhi today, no major retailer offering below 136k. Whereas some people getting at 119k. Why cannot Amazon etc offer it at competitive prices like they do in us or they do for mobiles in india. For tv purchase in india, price depends on your luck and negotiating skill.

• Like 1

My experience today in Mumbai was depressing. 
Rd and Croma were really firm on 1.5L ish and acted like I was naive to expect lower prices. 
I did find a contact at kohinoor who is willing to sell for 1.2L after cashback without any negotiation. I'm gonna try to get even better price by going through someone I know who works there. 
Also even for appliances RD and Croma have bullshit pricing. Samsung corporate portal has everything for at least 20% lower price. 
Exactly how my experience is at Chroma & RD in Mumbai. They act like they are doing a favor to us by selling us an item. Have to negotiate like crazy to get a decent price from them and to be honest i am not that good in negotiations.

Vijay Sales used to be decent but have not visited them in quite some time so not sure how they are right now.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, adity said:

One dude got it for 1.2L after cashback in Delhi from LG shoppe on hifivision. You can ping him for details. 

I did ping him and he said the retailer will contact me. He won't share the number. Have not heard from the retailer.

One dude got it for 1.2L after cashback in Delhi from LG shoppe on hifivision. You can ping him for details. 
I called that sales advisor, but something seemed not right, I told him I will come straight away to his shop to bill the tv, however he told me not to come and that he will call me in 2-3 days. I asked him the reason, but he was evasive, when I said "kya baat hai stock nahi hai, he said 2-3 mei aayega". But the manner in which he spoke, it seemed to me he is least interested in making sale of a high value item in festive season. Maybe he sold a unit to that forum member at a price that he is not interested in selling to any other buyer or maybe he may call me after 2-3 days.

Sent from my IN2021 using Tapatalk

I did ping him and he said the retailer will contact me. He won't share the number. Have not heard from the retailer.
I am also from Delhi, you can pm me your number, we can share the best deals we get on whatsapp.

Sent from my IN2021 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, achilles said:

Hey, so how about that picture? :) 

Congrats! How's it going with this? How's the TV? You using the "art mode"? 

Sorry. TV's been hijacked by High Command :P. I'll try to get some pictures and post them over the weekend

Art Mode is great. It shifts through a series of art  pieces, with some almost turning the TV into a real art piece from a gallery. It is accompanied by a soft music that gives a gallery feeling. 

My experiences with the TV

• Picture quality is fabulous. My previous TV was plasma, which already has superb quality and this feels even better
  • My wife claims that she can now see nose hair on zombies on the TV
  • I sat through 1 episode of Star Trek : Discovery. Hoo boy. I now realize the difference having "true blacks" makes when watching TV
  • Sound quality was poor, till I discovered a setting in the Sound Menu where it asked if the TV was wall mounted or on stand. The moment I switched to "Wall-Mounted" option, the sound improved drastically. This is something that the installation guys should have pointed out. 
  • Wife likes pictures better with TrueMotion ON, I like it better when it is OFF. I guess it boils down to personal preference

So apart from the sharp stabbing pain I felt in my heart while entering the PIN for my Credit Card at the LG store, I am happy with the TV. 

All I need is a good sound system to make it perfect

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lithuvien said:

Sorry. TV's been hijacked by High Command :P. I'll try to get some pictures and post them over the weekend

Art Mode is great. It shifts through a series of art  pieces, with some almost turning the TV into a real art piece from a gallery. It is accompanied by a soft music that gives a gallery feeling. 

My experiences with the TV

• Picture quality is fabulous. My previous TV was plasma, which already has superb quality and this feels even better
  • My wife claims that she can now see nose hair on zombies on the TV
  • I sat through 1 episode of Star Trek : Discovery. Hoo boy. I now realize the difference having "true blacks" makes when watching TV
  • Sound quality was poor, till I discovered a setting in the Sound Menu where it asked if the TV was wall mounted or on stand. The moment I switched to "Wall-Mounted" option, the sound improved drastically. This is something that the installation guys should have pointed out. 
  • Wife likes pictures better with TrueMotion ON, I like it better when it is OFF. I guess it boils down to personal preference

So apart from the sharp stabbing pain I felt in my heart while entering the PIN for my Credit Card at the LG store, I am happy with the TV. 

All I need is a good sound system to make it perfect

Try this if you don't want something too expensive or don't want eArc, i really want this but holding out if it falls around 5k since it's overpriced here and UK price is 80 pounds.

https://www.flipkart.com/creative-stage-160-w-bluetooth-soundbar/p/itmb15afc83ae7b2?pid=ACCFF82GZRGBKGGH&lid=LSTACCFF82GZRGBKGGHJBMM0I&marketplace=FLIPKART&srno=s_1_10&otracker=search&otracker1=search&fm=SEARCH&iid=2887af19-db9e-44f3-ad62-ad64d6602702.ACCFF82GZRGBKGGH.SEARCH&ppt=sp&ppn=sp&ssid=eg7qqa7gh5hknu2o1603222290335&qH=7006f62c972c054a

No joy was quoted 1.6L for LG CX 55 from our local LG partner shop, even though we buy mostly from them, i was given the option of card cashback of 9k Rs. and upon telling the wonderful discounts some people are getting he was still not ready to budge he asked for the specific offers so i told them that 32 inch free tv are converted to 18k cash discount but he said they can't do that, and hey give a 18k gift voucher for online shopping for nike or addidas, i frankly want to see the numbers fall on the final bill and use the cash for extended warranty.

With you guys saying croma and RD are a no go, then i too seem will have to go for a X900H. Credit where it's due though i am still shocked how a almost half priced X900H is holding up with LG CX check the below video

I've seen this video spammed everywhere. There is no way to tell the quality of a TV from a recorded video on your screen. Go and see them in person and an OLED is just so much better than anything else. 
Where do you stay? People at hifivision have got great quotes in all major cities. 
From western mumbai. I'll go check out in shop in a few days as soon as i have finalized the table. Amazon tables are big but waste so much possible storage space with their minimal design.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

From western mumbai. I'll go check out in shop in a few days as soon as i have finalized the table. Amazon tables are big but waste so much possible storage space with their minimal design.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Check hifivision, a guy in mumbai got 55cx for 1.22 from kohinoor.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread