The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

33 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Dumb question - what do these vaccines do? Like how are they calculating effectiveness? Once you take a dose or all the doses then you will be corona free? You are totally Corona immune despite touching and no mask?

Basically they test if your body generated enough antibodies to fight off the virus and then calculate the % of people who have them out of the total sample.

Theoretically, yes, you should be immune to Corona in the sense that even if the virus enters in your body, it won't be able to survive and grow.

That's how all vaccines work but you can still take in the virus and spread it to others via breathing etc, so masks and distancing is needed till vaccination is widespread enough.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Dumb question - what do these vaccines do? Like how are they calculating effectiveness? Once you take a dose or all the doses then you will be corona free? You are totally Corona immune despite touching and no mask?

10 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Basically they test if your body generated enough antibodies to fight off the virus and then calculate the % of people who have them out of the total sample.

Theoretically, yes, you should be immune to Corona in the sense that even if the virus enters in your body, it won't be able to survive and grow.

That's how all vaccines work but you can still take in the virus and spread it to others via breathing etc, so masks and distancing is needed till vaccination is widespread enough.

The efficacy is not 100% for both AZ and BB vaccines, so just understand that not everyone will develop immunity. The important part is EVERYONE gets vaccinated, so that some semblance of herd immunity can develop. 

• Like 1

The efficacy is not 100% for both AZ and BB vaccines, so just understand that not everyone will develop immunity. The important part is EVERYONE gets vaccinated, so that some semblance of herd immunity can develop. 
Thanks guys, clears that up.

3 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Govt contractors are panicking in Pune that there is going to be a lockdown. They are constantly following up with me to finish the pending supplies. Guess they know something other people do not.

lockdown 2.0 incoming?

1 hour ago, Snake said:

lockdown 2.0 incoming?

1 hour ago, SRINI87 said:

I don't think there will be lockdown

maybe only night curfew

The way one of the contractors was behaving even I am wondering as he is normally very cool. Phatti padi hai sabki. Even if there is a lockdown it will be a week's lockdown only.

7 pm curfew in Kalyan-Dombivli for all shops and establishments, food stalls etc. Only bars and restaurants can stay open until 11pm, but dinner crowd has greatly reduced in the last week or so.

Hopefully this has a positive effect on the numbers, but I fear the 2nd wave might be worse than the first.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:13 PM, SRINI87 said:

I don't think there will be lockdown

maybe only night curfew

It's already there in Nagpur. Might start in Pune soon as the cases skyrocketed today. Nagpur cases are still worse though.

Maharashtra 18k out of total 28 k cases in India. Out of those 18k just Pune and Mumbai dist have 7500 to 8000 Cases. The ambulance movement like the one in september is back. Everytime I go out i see minimum two to three ambulances. Each and every time I kid you not. 

Pune and Mumbai needs a special vaccination policy at the earliest. Vaccination for anyone that has to go out of house otherwise such waves will keep on hitting us. Empirical data MAY suggest that previous hotspots are not the current hotspots but here we are with mumbai and pune posting even higher numbers. 

2 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Pune and Mumbai needs a special vaccination policy at the earliest. Vaccination for anyone that has to go out of house otherwise such waves will keep on hitting us.  

PM meet with Cm(s) today. Maybe maha govt will ask for a vax for all policy seeing how they've not even used half the allotted vaccines so far. 

Can someone get the second dose at a different town? My parents will move in about three weeks. I have been trying to convince them to get vaccine (this is another frustrating matter, it makes me angry all the time talking with them as they have unfortunately become almost like anti-vaxxers after all the rumors and afwaah on social media), but not sure if I can get them to take it even if I can convince them (as they won't be available to take the second dose at the same site)? 

8 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Is vaccination still limited to 60+ bracket or are there any private hospitals catering to people who want to get it by paying up?

I saw somewhere that it is available to people above 45 with pre-existing conditions. I believe that a good portion of people that age in India would qualify under something common such as hypertension. That is how I'd try to get my parents to do it (if I can convince them) as they are not 60 quite yet. 

By the way, I have hypertension at 29 years of age, and got vaccinated (in the US) last Saturday! Johnson & Johnson's one shot vaccine!

Edited by Ph3N0M

19 minutes ago, Ph3N0M said:

I saw somewhere that it is available to people above 45 with pre-existing conditions. I believe that a good portion of people that age in India would qualify under something common such as hypertension. That is how I'd try to get my parents to do it (if I can convince them) as they are not 60 quite yet. 

By the way, I have hypertension at 29 years of age, and got vaccinated (in the US) last Saturday! Johnson & Johnson's one shot vaccine!

My parents actually don't meet any of the pre-existing condition criteria. I think I would need a doctor's prescription stating something like Hypertension for them to get vaccinated.

But seeing how shipments of vaccines are going unused, Govt. should open up vaccination for all. I mean, if elderlies aren't turning up then atleast get the others vaccinated.

How are you feeling after the shot?

J&J's vaccine seems pretty good because its trials were run more recently (when variants started coming up) and it's one shot.

Edited by kunjanp

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

My parents actually don't meet any of the pre-existing condition criteria. I think I would need a doctor's prescription stating something like Hypertension for them to get vaccinated.

But seeing how shipments of vaccines are going unused, Govt. should open up vaccination for all. I mean, if elderlies aren't turning up then atleast get the others vaccinated.

How are you feeling after the shot?

J&J's vaccine seems pretty good because its trials were run more recently (when variants started coming up) and it's one shot.

hypertension alone isn’t on the list of preconditions...

angina associated with htn is...

this could vary from state to state ..