The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

7 hours ago, funjabi said:

Looking for a 65 inch TV for my new home - mostly for watching sports, gaming on PS5 and youtube/netflix. Will be getting it in the upcoming prime day sale in the UK.

Shortlisted the below options (Take 1£ = 100rs roughly for reference)

Should I go with IVG's famous choice - LG C1? :D

1) LG C1 - it is around 1399£ and comes with 1 year warranty (C2 is way expensive - 2400£ and G1 is 2100£ so I guess no point?)

2) Sony A80J - 1600£ with 5 year panel warranty including burn-in

3) Samsung Q95B - The fancy QD OLED - 2600£ Out of Budget - but can get 55 inch for 1650£ - but size would be too much of a compromise?

4) Samsung Q95A - 1299£ + Q600A soundbar for additional 70£ only

My vote would go to the Sony A80J , mostly coz of the 5 year panel warranty. If you get the C1 with a similar warranty , then just get whichever one is cheaper. I think John Lewis gives extended warranty with burn in included. Might wanna check that too. 

15 hours ago, funjabi said:

Looking for a 65 inch TV for my new home - mostly for watching sports, gaming on PS5 and youtube/netflix. Will be getting it in the upcoming prime day sale in the UK.

Shortlisted the below options (Take 1£ = 100rs roughly for reference)

Should I go with IVG's famous choice - LG C1? :D

1) LG C1 - it is around 1399£ and comes with 1 year warranty (C2 is way expensive - 2400£ and G1 is 2100£ so I guess no point?)

2) Sony A80J - 1600£ with 5 year panel warranty including burn-in

3) Samsung Q95B - The fancy QD OLED - 2600£ Out of Budget - but can get 55 inch for 1650£ - but size would be too much of a compromise?

4) Samsung Q95A - 1299£ + Q600A soundbar for additional 70£ only

Samsung S95B is the QD-OLED and not the Q95B (which is the same old QLED), right?

I would've gone for S95B personally. Contrast and color goodness of OLED with brightness of LCD (almost).

1 hour ago, kittoo said:

Samsung S95B is the QD-OLED and not the Q95B (which is the same old QLED), right?

I would've gone for S95B personally. Contrast and color goodness of OLED with brightness of LCD (almost).

Yes. It is insanely expensive too

1 hour ago, kittoo said:

Yes. It is insanely expensive too

6 hours ago, kittoo said:

Yeah, Sorry I meant that only. I saw them at the store - they are better, no doubt. But IMO - not worth a 1000£ better.

I found the Sony A80J to better than LG C1 side by side but maybe it was just poor calibration. Would look at the price in prime day and choose whichever is cheaper :P

Don't know if i am posting it in right place but anyways,

I'll be getting PS5 soon (Digital Edition coz i'm fully into digital thing, PS Plus EXTRA also so Digital it is)

I'll be needing a 4k Monitor too.  I'm a casual gamer and have little time to play (Maybe total 5-6 hr /week or around 1 hr/daily). And i'll playing on a DESK not COUCH/SOFA.

Budget is 25-30K

2 Questions
1. 27 or 32 inch MONITOR (LG, BENQ, MSI ...) or 43 inch TV (Mi or similar ) 
2. Recommendations for Monitor/TV will be highly appreciated.

Also 1 thing, i'll be docking my MACBOOK too so i'm a bit inclined towards monitor coz of TYPE C. 

Thanking in advance. :thumbsup:

@vikasps: At that budget, I'd suggest a monitor from a good brand. I'm sure the longevity of the product matters to you (as it does to everyone else), and Chinese TVs are a pure hit or miss. For some, they last well for a number of years, and for the others (majority, IMO), it starts to show signs of going kaput within the first year itself. I know there's warranty, but claiming that might be a nightmare on it's own.

So, my short answer, a monitor from a good brand!

48 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

@vikasps: At that budget, I'd suggest a monitor from a good brand. I'm sure the longevity of the product matters to you (as it does to everyone else), and Chinese TVs are a pure hit or miss. For some, they last well for a number of years, and for the others (majority, IMO), it starts to show signs of going kaput within the first year itself. I know there's warranty, but claiming that might be a nightmare on it's own.

So, my short answer, a monitor from a good brand!

Yes brother, you got it right. A hasselfree experience is supreme. Like i said above i too was inclined towards monitor too. 

Can i ask for some more help like recommending a good monitor (4k 60) or which brand is good (LG,Samsung, BENQ, MSI ...)? 

I'll be grateful.:D

10 hours ago, vikasps said:

Yes brother, you got it right. A hasselfree experience is supreme. Like i said above i too was inclined towards monitor too. 

Can i ask for some more help like recommending a good monitor (4k 60) or which brand is good (LG,Samsung, BENQ, MSI ...)? 

Sadly, I don't have much experience with monitors (never had one), so I won't be able to help with suggestions. Sorry.

Some of the other members will surely be able to guide you properly.

• Thanks 1

So, just for kicks, I went to Croma today and inquired about the C1. They said only C2 is available. Quoted 1.38L for it, plus 10k instant cashback on cards. Net 1.28L for the piece, 55 inch. 

I'm not in the market to buy it right now, but does this seem to be worth it? 

54 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

So, just for kicks, I went to Croma today and inquired about the C1. They said only C2 is available. Quoted 1.38L for it, plus 10k instant cashback on cards. Net 1.28L for the piece, 55 inch. 

Decent. Might go down by another 10k during Diwali. 

2 hours ago, LordSpymaster said:

Yup, 1.28L is pretty decent.

During Dussehra/Diwali, 1.15-1.2 probably. Even with inflation and currency depreciation , manufacturers are going to have excess supply because of sudden demand slump.

I don't see them increasing prices.

Edited by KunjanPSD

On 7/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, vikasps said:

For 4k60 You can look at LG UL550 ( IPS Panel)  it's a 27inch and should be available under 30k 

Benq EW3270U - 32 inch monitor ( VA panel ) 

Both are good options . 

9 hours ago, LordSpymaster said:

Just for a frame of reference: I bought the C1 for 1.2 just a few months back. So this is great pricing imo

Edited by ox-

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I thought there's an excess demand. 

There was but won't be anymore. Data suggests so.

It all starts from the chip manufacturers.

These guys placed huge orders to the fabs in order to stablise the supply chain which has been constrained for over 2 years, assumption was that demand will continue to increase.

But now that supply is finally ready to hit the market, demand is either flat or drying up due to inflation and recession woes. With the crypto slump, demand in pretty much every asset & commodity class has gone down. Check RM prices, fallen off the cliff.

Hence, excess supply is coming to the market.

For example, AMD and Nvidia placed gigantic orders to TSMC but because of crypto bubble burst, are now cutting MSRPs overnight. You can check on Newegg, Amazon etc.

TSMC refused to cut orders, they are only allowing them to delay it by a quarter.

Same thing is happening with TV manufacturers, they also ordered increased amounts of chips and increased their glass production. But instead of demand going up, demand is flat or decreasing.

Good time to buy. I don't expect huge discounts but I don't expect less discounts either.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

There was but won't be anymore. Data suggests so.

It all starts from the chip manufacturers.

These guys placed huge orders to the fabs in order to stablise the supply chain which has been constrained for over 2 years, assumption was that demand will continue to increase.

But now that supply is finally ready to hit the market, demand is either flat or drying up due to inflation and recession woes. With the crypto slump, demand in pretty much every asset & commodity class has gone down. Check RM prices, fallen off the cliff.

Hence, excess supply is coming to the market.

For example, AMD and Nvidia placed gigantic orders to TSMC but because of crypto bubble burst, are now cutting MSRPs overnight. You can check on Newegg, Amazon etc.

TSMC refused to cut orders, they are only allowing them to delay it by a quarter.

Same thing is happening with TV manufacturers, they also ordered increased amounts of chips and increased their glass production. But instead of demand going up, demand is flat or decreasing.

Good time to buy. I don't expect huge discounts but I don't expect less discounts either.

Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA