PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

Yes I am also surprised by this. Usually the trend is Inno, Colorful, Galax etc cards are priced below FE and the big names like Gigabyte, Asus are priced above FE

If there was a good enough stock of these super cheap reference cards it would have made everyone happy because then only people who actually want a triple fan model would buy the expensive cards instead of people rushing to buy whatever is available.

Also the genuine deal is to buy the cheapest card in an available tier. Example it’s a better deal to buy the cheapest bone stock 3070 than it’s to buy a strix 3070 which costs as much as a bone stock 3080. The fancy AIB and bone stock el cheapo cards have a max difference of 2-4%. Makes absolutely no sense to pay 10-20k more for 2% improvement in performance. Yeah they have better cooling and rgb but end of the day given the prices in India who cares about that. Performance is the king.

There is a yt channel called tech deals which compares el cheapo cards with the big boy cards if the same chip and the results speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEs are great. Improved a lot since first launch. The gap is so little compared to AIB variants and for the price over FE it is not worth it. 

ASUS dropped the ball this time. The TUF did well but they stopped making to favor their more expensive STRIX card which is still not available. The FE vs TUF difference is ~2-4 FPS while the price gap is big to justify. 

EVGA and MSI has done better than ASUS this time when it comes to performance. Zotac as usual at the bottom (not really that bad but ~2fps slower than FE). 

But still none of them are worth $100-200+ more over FE. Get whichever is the cheapest. They are all good. 

Can anyone share any article/video comparing GPU performance for different number of CUs and different frequencies in different situations?

For example, XSX GPU has 52 CUs at 1.8Ghz while PS5 GPU has 36 CUs at 2.2Ghz. How does more CUs vs more frequency stack up in different situations like 1440p vs 4k or 60fps vs 120fps or enabling/disabling RT?

Just saw 6800xt pricing in India. 77k MSRP including GST. If 71k MSRP of 3080 is any indication, will be pretty hard find 6800xt, if at all, at close to this. 90000rs 6800XTs incoming looks like. The recent gaming launches have been ridiculous.

The AMD processor prices were pretty reasonable when converted, and was decently easy find near that. What happened with the GPUs?

Edited by kittoo

What an amazing work RDNA 2 has done for AMD GPUs. All the RX 6000 series are mind-blowing when compared to 3000 series from nvidia.
While doing this they have also managed to use less power than their counterpart. 6800XT is $50 less than nvidia's 3080.

Just look at the comparisons below....

a8LqARC.png

3pQN0DL.png

1YdghIX.png

eG7UJGQ.png

6900 Xt vs 3090 (4K60FPS Ultimate Showdown)

D9im29A.png

AMD is back in business, 1st they got PS5 & X SEX project and now with their latest RDNA 2 in their GPUs.

35 minutes ago, HarishProGamer said:

What an amazing work RDNA 2 has done for AMD GPUs. All the RX 6000 series are mind-blowing when compared to 3000 series from nvidia.
While doing this they have also managed to use less power than their counterpart. 6800XT is $50 less than nvidia's 3080.

Just look at the comparisons below

...snip...

There is no doubt AMD is back in business at the high end but there are a few caveats.

1. These are hand chosen comparisons from AMD. Reviews are out and aggregated 6800XT is ~7% slower than 3080 at 4k. It's an absolute monster at 1440p and 1080p though and beats 3080 more often than not.

2. It's much slower in ray-tracing, if you value that.

3.  As of now, no DLSS alternative on AMD. DLSS is a huge performance booster.

4. Slower GDDR6 Vram with 256 bit bus (which is why it falls behind in 4k) as compared to GDDR6X at 320 bit bus of 3080.

5. But a huge plus that it has 16GB of Vram while 3080 has only 10GB. More future proof? Possibly.

6. Another plus is that it has Smart Access Memory, which gives 2-10% boost  depending on game, if you have a 5000 series processor and 500 series motherboard. Nvidia will also get it, but later.

7. A huge negative for India though, is the absolute absurd pricing of the 6800xt. Its priced at 77k (with GST) in india. That's higher than 71k of 3080 (and 62k founders edition, though I doubt they will ever come here now). Not that 3080 is available anywhere near 71k for the most part. It usually starts from 85k. But given the absolute paper launch of 6800XT, that guy might be even higher than 3080 because of higher MSRP. This is ridiculously stupid from AMDs side.

So, overall, I personally think it depends on what you want. If you value raytracing  dlss and play at 4K, and can get a 3080 below 80k, go with Nvidia. If not and if 6800XT is available close to its batshit MSRP of 77k, go with that.

Very good to see options at the high end though :)

4 hours ago, hsk_colossus said:

How big upgrade will be rtx 3070 over Xbox series x/ ps5? For gaming on 4K tv ? 
seeing the benchmarks 3070 mostly performs better at 1440p than 4K 

3070 should be better, honestly. Assuming you have a good rig with an NVMe SSD and a recent CPU.

If not, XSX is a good middle ground if you want to play old titles as well as future multi platform games. Gamepass reduces the cost barrier significantly if you play a lot of gamss.

PS5 anyday if you care more about Sony exclusives from PS4 gen onwards. 

But if you are going to build a rig from scratch, then just get both the XSX and PS5 ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

But if you are going to build a rig from scratch, then just get both the XSX and PS5 ?

Will have to build from scratch... I have already preordered Xbox form Amazon, arriving in January... but now my computer guy is saying colourful 3070 is available with him for 52k ...so was thinking maybe will cancel my xsx and build a gaming rig... I would guess 3070 would perform 20-25% better than xsx?? 

well I guess  xsx and ps5 would be better than 3070 based rig..

26 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Will have to build from scratch... I have already preordered Xbox form Amazon, arriving in January... but now my computer guy is saying colourful 3070 is available with him for 52k ...so was thinking maybe will cancel my xsx and build a gaming rig... I would guess 3070 would perform 20-25% better than xsx?? 

well I guess  xsx and ps5 would be better than 3070 based rig..

Get the GPU + Ps 5 and you are all set for this gen. 

3070 is obviously better and even more in long run compared to consoles. Though you will be spending 2-3x over console for complete build. 

Not all games support Raytracing and/or DLSS. Though more and more AAA games seem to add these and are extremely useful. 

Games on PC have full settings control. You can optimize settings as per your liking instead of setting everything to max for no gain in visual but massive hit on framerate. This is great advantage over console. Even after 5+ years, you will still be able to play better than next-gen consoles thanks to user settings.

Almost all games support controller, so you don't have to worry about that. You can even use generic/PS4/5 controllers on PC. Xbox controllers have native support thanks to MS.

Pretty much everything is automated these days. From cooling to updates to in-game settings. You won't have to worry about anything really.

• Thanks 1