Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

On 10/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, North said:

Secured tickets to watch DUNE in IMAX on Saturday :wOOtjumpy:

I saw it on Saturday, late with my thoughts -

Extremely faithful to the book and Frank Herbert's vision of what Dune is.

Actors are phenomenal, special effects and post-production is top-notch as well.

Soundtrack suits the movie, Hans Zimmer does it again.

A bit skiffed that they cut out the banquet scene from the book, but understandable.

Waiting for Part II

Dune was a FANTASTIC experience, for me and my wife both. 

It's clearly a thinking man's sci fi and I'm just so obsessed with the world and the story right now, I'm itching to read the books...so stupid of me to avoid the literature for such a long time despite of being told that it's one of the best Sci fi books written and lots of media actually got influenced from that.

19 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

I agree, Dune was amazing. All characters were cast well. Visuals are stunning. Hyped for part 2, hope it doesn't take too long to come out with the cliffhanger ending.

It's set for 2023.

23 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

:wOOtjumpy:

Oh man this is awesome. Buzz lightyear was one of my favourite cartoon series growing up. His partners are hilarious, especially that red guy. Even it's hindi dub was awesome.

"Anant se bhi aage"

On 10/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, playstationdude said:

I agree, Dune was amazing. All characters were cast well. Visuals are stunning. Hyped for part 2, hope it doesn't take too long to come out with the cliffhanger ending.

Always happy to have more Dune fans in the world. Now the books are very old, DO NOT GOOGLE sh*t or it will tell you what happens. Trust me, this is not something you want spoiled.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:32 PM, SaiKO said:

Dune was a FANTASTIC experience, for me and my wife both. 

It's clearly a thinking man's sci fi and I'm just so obsessed with the world and the story right now, I'm itching to read the books...so stupid of me to avoid the literature for such a long time despite of being told that it's one of the best Sci fi books written and lots of media actually got influenced from that.

Extremely well described. And this is only the start of it. It explores every philosophical and moral idea possible within context, and still delivers a fantastic sci-fi experience.

I HIGHLY recommend reading the books, best way to experience the story. They also cut one scene out of the movie, and that scene is sheer brilliance, so I say go for it.

Dune is the only the start of it, things only go uphill from here. 

And you are right, lots of stuff including Star Wars and Game of Thrones, two huge franchises took inspiration from Frank Herbert's magnum opus.

I felt Dune would have been better served, had this been made into a TV series with the same budget as the movie.

Having read the book before the movie, I felt the movie rushed through all the events in the books and few of the important scenes which I was looking forward to were skimmed. The dinner scene comes to the mind, Paul and Jessica's survival in the desert including the whole sequence of them trying to outrun the sand worm. In the movie, it amounted to just a chase sequence. The lore and religion described in the book, that fleshes out the Dune universe, were just on the surface of the film. Arrakis in itself is a major character with a distinct geography and climate. In the movie, it came off as just another desert planet. Some of the important characters were kind of written poorly in the film. For example, Thufir Hawat is a major character that influences the plot and politics of the story. He is supposed to be a special breed of human who are basically human computers. Nowhere is that mentioned or implied in the movie and he merely comes off as a right hand man to the Duke. I pictured Jessica to be a strong, smart, cunning and physically abled woman. In the movie she came off as paranoid and worrying mom often delving into hysterical sobs. Baron had a more significant presence in the book. Where is Feyd-Rautha? Rabban was supposed to be a minor character but here his role seems to have been expanded.

I am not saying the movie is bad by any means. The visual and sound were top notch. Some of the scene framings makes you go slack jawed. The production design is amongst the best. But Dune's universe deserves a more thorough approach.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:24 PM, R3D_D3ViL said:

I felt Dune would have been better served, had this been made into a TV series with the same budget as the movie.

Having read the book before the movie, I felt the movie rushed through all the events in the books and few of the important scenes which I was looking forward to were skimmed. The dinner scene comes to the mind, Paul and Jessica's survival in the desert including the whole sequence of them trying to outrun the sand worm. In the movie, it amounted to just a chase sequence. The lore and religion described in the book, that fleshes out the Dune universe, were just on the surface of the film. Arrakis in itself is a major character with a distinct geography and climate. In the movie, it came off as just another desert planet. Some of the important characters were kind of written poorly in the film. For example, Thufir Hawat is a major character that influences the plot and politics of the story. He is supposed to be a special breed of human who are basically human computers. Nowhere is that mentioned or implied in the movie and he merely comes off as a right hand man to the Duke. I pictured Jessica to be a strong, smart, cunning and physically abled woman. In the movie she came off as paranoid and worrying mom often delving into hysterical sobs. Baron had a more significant presence in the book. Where is Feyd-Rautha? Rabban was supposed to be a minor character but here his role seems to have been expanded.

I am not saying the movie is bad by any means. The visual and sound were top notch. Some of the scene framings makes you go slack jawed. The production design is amongst the best. But Dune's universe deserves a more thorough approach.

Feyd-Rautha isn't even introduced until halfway through the book. He will be in Part II. 

He shows up in the final chapters of Muad'Dib.

Anyway, as far as it being a movie - Don't think it could've been any better. Sure, could've worked better as a TV series. 

But TV series usually do not give this kind of a cinematic experience. I wish the banquet scene was there, I wish the conversation between Jessica and Yueh was there, but they gave more emphasis to Duncan being Jason Momoa and thats okay I guess. There is still a second half, and I have big hopes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watched Venom II. 7/10. Recommend watching, but no need to spend money at the theatres I think.

More comedy than action. Tom Hardy and Woody Harrelson are fantastic of course.

The post-credit scene is where the real meat is at. 

I saw Dune. (i havent read the books. i dont know anything about this universe)

I have mixed feelings tbh.

I liked what was in the movie. Everything looked fantastic. The lore and story was good. I'm looking forward to the next one.

But the structure of the movie itself felt very odd. Too much worldbuilding. Too time spent on vision/dream sequences.

And the ending felt very abrupt. Like I just watched 5 episodes of a 10 episode tv season. I know that theres a part 2 that will cover the rest of the book, but part 1 should still feel like a movie, with the three acts structure, with a climax etc. It just all felt so odd. 

It also felt like there was so much weird random sh*t like a woman just suddenly wailing for no reason. I'm sure it makes sense for book readers, but as a movie watcher it felt very odd. 

If this movie didn't look as good as it did, I would recommend just wait it out and watch both movies together. But the movie looks really good on an IMAX screen. The visuals are fantastic. So go and watch it I guess. 

Edited by dylanjosh
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

And the ending felt very abrupt. Like I just watched 5 episodes of a 10 episode tv season. I know that theres a part 2 that will cover the rest of the book, but part 1 should still feel like a movie, with the three acts structure, with a climax etc. It just all felt so odd. 

It also felt like there was so much weird random sh*t like a woman just suddenly wailing for no reason. I'm sure it makes sense for book readers, but as a movie watcher it felt very odd. 

If this movie didn't look as good as it did, I would recommend just wait it out and watch both movies together. But the movie looks really good on an IMAX screen. The visuals are fantastic. So go and watch it I guess. 

Yeah thing is Dune (book 1) has 3 parts. Not 2 halves. 

They stopped it halfway through Part 2 here, so the ending is definitely a bit out there.

We will have to wait for Part 2. Go read the books though :P